Options

Interior carpet replacement

Hi All: I have been meaning to do this for years on my 03 - 270. After discovering a leak at the base of the windshield 4 years back due to faulty Rinker/ 3M selant (I actually spoke with Randy Rinker who said "yea 3M gave us some bad stuff that year let me know how we can help) I had to have the whole nose/top deck and fur strips/joist replaced to the tune of almost what I could sell the boat for....but what are ya gonna do?? The carpet was destroyed from leaking wet balsa and was due to go anyway.  I have decided to go carpet free! here is where I am now  
I tried the Nautik floor plank system but sooooo many problems with the install the "click system" means the teak flooring doesnt line up unless the male and female groves do to give you the smaller 1/4 inch white strips in between. In other words you can't flip a plank around to make the white interior strip work.  :( Plus, as others on prior threads have mentioned there needs to be some flex to mount planks on the outward curve of the floor as seen in the pic above.  I am going to order Plasteak and hope my life gets much easier. In the mean time I'll throw a runner down this weekend so the Admiral and Kiddos dont give me too much sh###  HA HA! Much more to be done I hope to show an "amazing reveal" shot in a week or so.  I just thought these breakdown pics might be of some assistance to others.

Cheers!

Jim 

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Looking forward to seeing the final results!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Great start!!  How much time did it take to get it removed, to this point?  What was your best method for pulling the carpeting up?  Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
  • Options
    StingrayjimStingrayjim Member Posts: 8
    rinker270nb - ripping out wasnt as bad as I thought.  It was bad but manageable. Since the carpet was crap mat kinives and scissors and putty blades did the work. Hardest part was pulling the piece of woord up front cuz I KNEW there were screws in somewhere I just could not find them. But I did right across the middle support beam. Lots of sanding with hand sanders orbitale to get the floor ready.  Will be ordering new stuff tomorrow mornig and hope on a speady delivery. :)