Options

stiff steering wheel

MalThomas13MalThomas13 Member Posts: 3
I have a 2005 360 FV. My steering wheel is very stiff. Has anyone had this issue ? If so, what was your fix?

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Power steering fluid level ok?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    Volvo or mecr?
  • Options
    MalThomas13MalThomas13 Member Posts: 3
  • Options
    s3adrag0ns3adrag0n Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2021
    I have same issue with my Captiva 232--steering fluid level is good. Have you found what was causing your issue?
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    The most common being that the steering cables are not slid out of the support tube (at the engine) as far as they can go, and cleaned off and greased with a WATER PROOF MARINE LITHIUM GREASE. This should be done at least once a year on a freshwater only boat, and twice a year on saltwater boats. 
    The second most common reason as to why steering cables are stiff is that the support tubes (at the engine) have a grease fitting on them, and grease gets pumped into it. This forces grease up the cable jacket and causes a hydraulic lock which will make the steering very difficult to turn. To solve this, you must replace the cable. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    joanzerjoanzer Member Posts: 8
    I have this issue on my 1999 270 V. I have replaced the steering pump, steering line, and greased. I have backlash in my steering wheel, which leads me to believe it is in the rack n pinion in the helm steering column. Has anyone worked on the steering box behind the steering wheel ?
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Not sure of what steering system your boat has, but last year the steering on my '06 250 was getting so stiff I had the steering cable replaced. The old Teleflex one was stretched the mechanic said. After the repair the steering was super light even with the engine off. I then realized that the steering was harder than normal from the day I got the boat 11 years ago and now I have a much easier time maneuvering the boat during docking, it's really night and day and a real pleasure to steer now. The rack and pinion steering box came attached to the new cable and so that is new also. Andy.