Options

Buying a 2000 Rinker 270 FV

Rinker_270Rinker_270 Member Posts: 10
Hello Board.

I am try to buy a Rinker 270 Viesta Vee 55 Anniversary Edition from a local dealer here in Germany. I love this size and shape of the boat.

Is there anybody with the same vessel? There are some equipment it's missing like the generator (on the breaker panel the starter button is present), the search light in front is missing, the crontrolboard is still in the helm (Jabsco ITT). Aircondition panel is mounted but i don't know where is the A/C installed and how can i check this thing.

The Motor a Mercruiser 5.7L EFI is in a fair condition but the left exhaust knee is currently unmounted and rust is on the gasket seat.  The dealer will check any instruments and installed devices until we make the test drive and if it's all okay i make the final payment. 

Unfortunately i don't have the manual right know to clear the most of my questions (tried to find one in the net was unsuccessful).

I am new on this boat brand and need as much information as possible to check all the devices and functions. Is there a blueprint or something similar to find the maintenance hatches to check things? Is there a standard equipment for the 55th edition? 

Sorry for the questions but i am afraid to miss something at the boat handover.

Best,
Tom

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check to see if swim platfrom has been raised. Early models sucked water when trying to plane.  Made getting over the hump very difficult.

Some bandaid with foam and glass under the platfrom and larger trim tabs.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Tom. I have that model, but without the air conditioning. Has been a fantastic boat. I'm not sure how it is in Germany but in North America we have professional boat surveyor's that will carefully go over a vessel from end to end, checking the hull and structure and the basic operating systems of the boat. Some will also check the mechanical's including engine and drive. Cost for a boat that size is usually between $300 - 500 and is worth every penny. They will also issue a written report along with a valuation that is useful for insurance purposes. Do not depend on the opinion of the dealer unless you have had extensive dealings with them and trust them. They are in the business of selling a boat however they can.
    The disconnected exhaust and missing generator are worrisome. Makes me wonder if the hull had been underwater at some point or storm damage.
    The spotlight is easy to replace. As with most boats there really is no manual. The manufacturer designs and builds the hull but all of the operating systems come from after market manufacturer's. Engine, drive, instruments, fridge, plumbing etc etc are all widely available and the same units may be used by multiple boat builders.

If it is difficult to find a professional marine surveyor where you are I would suggest that you at least enlist the help of a seasoned boat owner to look at it with you, preferably not linked to the dealer or marina selling the boat.
    Best of luck!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Thank you for the tips. 

@PickleRick this model doesn‘t have a swim platform. But large trim tabs.

@Willhound yea in Germany you can get a surveyor too. They reject responsibility for every report they write in this matter. Only the ideas they have can be helpful. The costs differ between 1k - 1.5k EUR. 

I will ask some buddy to assist me. Rinker has a "Small Craft Owner's Manual". I will get it after the complete deal.

Okay. I will try to do my best to uncover all surprises. I spend every year holidays in Ft. Myers Cape Coral on chartering boats like Regal, SeaRay, Hurrican and Chaparral boats, but only bowrider. I will report the result. 

Thanks a lot!

Tom

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum @Rinker_270 ! Keep us updated, we will help you the best we can.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanx for the warm welcome! I will do! I hope the best for the handover and i'll check the availability of a neutral surveyor to assist me at this time.

Tom 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much are they asking for the boat and how does the price compare to similar age/size cruisers?

Good luck and this forum is awesome so you will definitely find the help you need if the sale goes through. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Hi. Yea the board is fantastic but also because the people here are so incredibly helpful. I'll pay around 38k USD here and kinds this size and year here starts at 35k up to 60k USD. The rinker is well groomed on deck and in the cabin. Except the motor seems neglected at the first look. Motor is the standard option a 5.7L Mercruiser with a Bravo III. The mechanics has dismounted the right elbow. I am scared of water was ingressed in the cylinders. It's not easy to test the compression on the mounted motor i guess :( 

Tom
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually it's very easy for a mechanic to check compression on that engine. Will have to crawl in the engine compartment to do it but any half decent mechanic can do it.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Yes compression check is very simple, I was charged for two hours of labor to do it on my old boat (compression was checked with the engine cold and then again at operating temperature).

Also, make sure that the mechanic checks for oil leaks!  My old boat had a leak that I found out about after purchase; I thought it was from the back of the oil pan area (expensive fix) but I got lucky and it was the oil pressure sender leaking (cheap fix).
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely have a survey done- they here anyway are not engine or drive mechanics...but they will check the hull for soft spots, check the operation of all options on the boat. As far as the engine, they will test at max rpm. Beyond that I would get a marine mechanic to look over  the drive and motor. That elbow will have to be put back together and make sure the exhaust flaps are installed...