Windlass install on 2000 Rinker Fiesta Vee 270

Hey guys, I am the new owner of a 2000 FV 270 here in western Michigan. I have been slowly working on getting her modernized and would like to install a windlass at some point. I saw a discussion from a few years ago but did not see a follow up, anybody install one on a 270 around my vintage?

Thanks!

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    should be pretty straightforward...I'm sure the product will give you all the wiring instruction and size wire etc. to run it...which will be the biggest pain running the wiring I'm sure! 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the 2000 270’s have the wiring pre-installed?
    2008 330EC
  • wbviperwbviper Member Posts: 11
    No it doesn’t have the wiring.
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I haven't seen one without it yet! The ones that are preinstalled run from the bow, down the STBD side.. I had to rerun the wires and when I get my boat back I'll take a picture and show you the routing. 
    Unless I’m mistaken, would it be pretty obvious?  Any pics would be appreciated!
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open up the access port to the rode locker and shine a light and use a mirror to look up towards the top and see if there's wire coiled up there. The access is behind the bow cushion of the v berth and is only held on by Velcro.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Thanks Willhound, looked in there but didn’t see any wiring. Just the wires to the bow lights and the cabin speakers. 
    That's odd but possible. I had thought that most came pre-wired for a winch whether one was installed or not. The other thing you can check is a little more work, but if you remove the switch panel in front of the throttle/shifter you may be able to see if there's any wiring there as the winch switch is normally mounted just ahead and a little above the throttle. It's possible that it's just tucked well out of the way up in the bow.
    If not, it will take a bit of work to fish the wires but not impossible. You might be able to use an electrical fish tape to get down through the side combing without dismantling half the boat. A few guys on here have upgraded the wiring for newer winches, perhaps they can comment.
    Thanks I’ll take another look and also look behind the switch panel. Did your 270 come with the factory windlass?
    So I took a few pictures, top one is the starboard side, port on the bottom. Looking at the port picture I can’t tell if those are speaker wires or the windlass wiring. I’ll check the panel at the helm and see if there’s anything. 
    My 270 windlass was factory installed. You'd know the windlass wiring if you see it. A pretty heavy gauge to handle the current draw.
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Im sure the winlass on my 289 is the same as a 270 would use.  The wire is almsost as big in diameter as a quarter.

• rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    My 1999 270 does not have the windlass prewiring.  I've been hunting for it and it's not there.  I'm watching this thread to see your install.  
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Scratch my last comment on the winlass wire size. That could be my bow thruster power wire
    I looked again, definitely do not have any wires in the bow or the switch panel unfortunately. As far as the actual windlass, what model was the factory version Willhound?  Not sure when I will get to this install, still working on some of the more critical systems!  The boat had sat in indoor storage for almost 10 yrs, original owner. Engine is running great, I threw in a new water pump yesterday, got that flushed and running with hot water. Going to replace the head today, wish me luck!
    Original was a Simpson Lawrence Horizon 600 which is no longer made. Replacement would be a Pro 700.