Options

Retrieving a stuck plow anchor

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
Interesting video , I don’t think the tie wrap will hold up to normal use though....
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they make something for this called anchor saver. Good idea with the zip ties though. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I have a stuck anchor, I drive or back 50 ft + - pass were it was stuck the opposite direction of said stuck anchor..... then pull by hand or use boat power. Easy. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Break away anchor is the way to go.

Instead of zip ties use some solid stiff gauge home electrical wire.  Twist it up like a bread tie or garbage bag tie.

The electrical wire will not become brittle with age/sun.  It is very reusable in the case of a stuck anchor.  When it yanks loose just re twist it with your handy dandy on board pliars.  

Theres also the enviromental issue where sea creatures can and do eat plastic/nylon stuff they find in the ocean.

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I hear zip ties are great for marine life 😑
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly sea turtles will eat anything that floats or at least try a bite.  Grocery bags floating look a lot like jelly fish.  You can imagine the issues that can cause
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @aero3113 ....a friend has this "modification" the zip tie does work and very well BUT you MUST install a temporary bolt through the forward "hole" in the anchor once it is back in the windlass OR while underway because the zip tie will break and the anchor will bang around the bow of the boat. You also have to be very careful when retrieving it as the zip tie often breaks hauling it up (weeds etc.) and the sucker swings around!
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like a very bad idea.