Anyone ever pulled the dash out?

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
Has anyone ever removed the dash from a 342?  It looks like there are just 7 screws and some caulk holding it in....and a lot of switches.  I think the weight of the wiring along keeps it in place.  However i am planning on some fiberglass work and repainting it.  I was thinking it would be easier to just pull it out of the boat and do it off site. 
It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You mean remove the entire fiberglass enclosure, not just the switch panels - right?  

I don't recall seeing anybody here do it.  Seems simple, although there might also be a screw or two on the starboard side, above the subwoofer.  
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea yes.  The entire fiberglass enclosure.  I believe there are three screws at the bottom and 4 along the top edge.  So you would have to either pull the windshield or hopefully get the screws out with a short screwdriver.  Then pull the steering wheel, throttle, VHS and all the switch wiring.  I am also thinking it might be a two man job to lift it out as i am thinking it might weigh a few lbs.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alswagg what's the adhesive used to secure the fiberglass helm enclosure on a 342?  Are there other fasteners besides the seven screws that are visible from the helm seat?
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What color are you planning to paint it?  Mine has a bunch of stress cracks and I hate the brown; very much considering having it sprayed white.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of the color either but i am thinking of going darker. I will likely take it to someone to spray.  I don't have the experience to get it as perfect as i would like.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same proverbial boat - I am not talented when it comes to paintwork.  I also don't want to lose the textured surface.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay