Options

Mid Berth Bilge Pump

MinaMina Member Posts: 43
The bilge pump under the  mid berth on my 2004 342 FV is running constantly. I’ve checked the float and it moves freely. I even did the technical procedure of tapping both the float cage and the pump with the handle of a screwdriver with no success. Does the rocker switch on the dash work both pumps or just the engine compartment bilge pump?
Ken Walker 2004 342 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I wired both pumps to work off of the switch.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,540 mod
    The helm switch should operate both bilge pumps, and it will override the float switch.  

• Options
    So then, could the helm switch be bad?
  • Options
    I opened the engine compartment hatch to check that pump and it sounds like it is running also.  Any thoughts Y’all?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a bad switch but I'm a parts replace when it comes to electrical...should be able to pull the switch and probe it and see if it is hot on and off...
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you toggeled the switch?  It is easy to have that switch on and not realize it. 

FYI those pumps will not survive running dry if the original type. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Okay, I pulled the switch and it fell apart so now I need a new switch. Does anyone know where I can find one? Also, the bilge pump is still running even with the switch removed. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The bilge pump has 2 sources of 12v +. The switch and directly from the battery.  

If the float sticks she will run non stop no matter the switch position.

Hit it with the handle end of a screwdriver. Might be a one time occurrence, if it happens more than once she needs a new float if separate or a new pump if built in.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭
    New Wire Marine is where I got my switches from. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus one on Rocker Switch Pros/New Wire Marine. Good service. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Well, here’s one for the record books! After trying to get the mechanic here, since the first of July to look at the bilge pumps, I found a local guy that does marine electrical work. Turns out the reason the bilge pumps have been running for over a month is there was a piece of plastic wire  connector underneath the engine compartment float causing them to be on. After some basic probing he looks in there and there was the connector. Both pumps were replaced in March and thankfully they survived.  Thanks for your help everyone!