Options

Jabsco electric flush head questions

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
My toilet will leak down all the water in it when sitting for a few hours.  I built a home made macerator pump out to use an rv black water dump station but with the head not holding water it has that unfresh smell after being closed on a 95 degree day.

Any one have experience with these guys? I have never had a holding tank before

Comments

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Their is a duck bill that need to be changed 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it’s called a joker valve
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I will order a service kit today.  Providing I find the toilet model number before work.  

Thank you
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    +1 on the joker valve.  Easy change on the electric head.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    yep, I remember those days of the joker valve.  Much easier to change than the duck bills that I have now!  It's definitely that and remember to flush some water thru before changing it out.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree on the joker valve but I'll tell you that on a center console I had a jabsco electric head in the center console and it wouldnt hold water well either because the toilet was right at the waterline of the boat. The motor failed at one point so I replaced the motor and the entire base assembly ($200) and it held water in the bowl better, but never held it well due to the proximity to the waterline. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I think it's above the water line a bit on this boat, i guess the joker valve when functioning properly is supposed to keep the toilet from venting.  So i shouldnt need water in the bowl to keep it smelling fresh.  

I will also snake my vent tube tonight as the boat sat for nearly a year.  
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the joker valve is a seal tight thing ... it's meant to prevent reverse flow, not forward flow, to stop gases from coming from the waste tank, but it does still need some water in the bowl to provide some resistance.

From what I recall, the macerator itself was a kind of self sealing thing ... it could only process water through it if it was running, and when stopped, it prevented the flow of water, and therefore kept the water in the bowl.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I don't have an issue with the poop going down, just the smell coming back after being closed up a few days.
  • Options
    Also there is a little water still in the very bottom of the bowl, checked this morning but it wont hold going poo ready amounts of water
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree the joker is really not water tight, you can always see some light through it.... but it should prevent smell. When I would lose water in the bowl I still never had smell. Sounds like your hose running from the head to the tank could be bad and letting smell out. They do that over time. Or, how is the holding tank vent line and filter? Could be pushing gas back up stream....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I will be snaking out the breather hose tonight.  Im not positive there is a filter.  If there isnt one will be added