Options

Engine hatch switch

My engine hatch switch went out on the dash. The actuator is brand new. Is the switch hard to replace. It has 6 prongs. 

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The switch shouldn't be hard to find as they are a third party supplied part. Posting year and model of boat might help in that someone with the same model might be able to point you right at the part. I'd test first though to see if there's power to the switch and not a bad connection somewhere as switches usually last pretty good. They can fail, but usually it's a power issue. And when you say the actuator is brand new, do you mean the switch hasn't worked since the new actuator? Then I'd really suspect a bad connection somewhere, maybe right at the actuator.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    mfritzmfritz Member Posts: 41
    I have ordered a switch. The previous owner put a new actuator in before I bought the boat a few weeks ago. It is a 2008 350. He put the actuator in his self and found out later the old one still worked. He gave me the old one to have. He was adviced by his mechanic that it was the engine hatch switch. He ordered one from Rinker but it has never came in yet. So I went ahead and ordered one online yesterday. Just did not know how hard it was to install. Thanks for your input.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just after I posted my reply I saw you had a second thread on the topic. Wow! The previous owner put in an expensive new actuator when it's probably just a switch? Just goes to show the importance of doing a few checks before replacing parts.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might need a tool to help you get the switch out, I’m not 100% though. I’m sure someone knows...
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a plastic tool to remove the rocker(top) of the switch there remove the panel and firm the back of the switch squeeze and it will slide out to the front. https://newwiremarine.com/marine-grade-switches/contura-ii/switch-covers/
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    mfritzmfritz Member Posts: 41
    Thanks for your input!!