Options

Replacing a Fuel Tank?

I have an 05 270FV with a Diesel engine.  Think I may need to replace/ repair fuel tank....has anyone done this before? Easy? Cheap? 

Looks like it’s going to be a nightmare to get out of the hull!!

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, no, and no, I guess it could be cheap if you're doing it yourself but it probably won't be easy. I do think it is possible to take it out through the mid berth rather than pull the engine. If you have the ability to pull the engine yourself then it may be worth going that route. I think there is an old post on here of someone doing this on I believe a 270 if you search. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Easy? Nope. Cheap? Nope? Nightmare? Yep. Here's my experience back in 2015 with my FV250.
    Andy

• Options
    Not to be a total downer, in the five years since this repair the boat has been relatively trouble free and I've enjoyed the heck out of it. This year it has been a great escape from this pandemic lockdown.
    Andy
  • Options
    MissLee2005MissLee2005 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited July 2020
    andyd said:
    Not to be a total downer, in the five years since this repair the boat has been relatively trouble free and I've enjoyed the heck out of it. This year it has been a great escape from this pandemic lockdown.
    Andy
     Hi Andy,
    was this a job you did yourself? Or get someone to do it for you? How much am I looking at ? 

Am a little disillusioned by the boat...spent loads on it but seem to be going through a spell of ‘one trip out creates another problem’!

.....but this one feels likes it going financially hurt! 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd pull the motor to do it. Did a 62 gallon in my 235 last winter.

Pulling the outdrive is 10 min.  45 to 1 hr to pull motor.  Clean everything and do any hard to reach hoses while you're in there.

Diesels are best.  

Had an outfit in NJ do my tank and epoxy coat it. Shipped for less than 1600.

Labor was intensive but i also did stingers, motor mount, battery tray and transom while in there.
  • Options
    I'd pull the motor to do it. Did a 62 gallon in my 235 last winter.

Pulling the outdrive is 10 min.  45 to 1 hr to pull motor.  Clean everything and do any hard to reach hoses while you're in there.

Diesels are best.  

Had an outfit in NJ do my tank and epoxy coat it. Shipped for less than 1600.

Labor was intensive but i also did stingers, motor mount, battery tray and transom while in there.
    Sounds like a lot of work there! Total cost? 
  • Options
    I did all the work myself.  I dont want to think of the price I paid for all the little parts I added in.  

I had a few hundred in epoxy resins, another couple hundred in cleaning products and fiberglass.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    andyd said:
    Andy
     Hi Andy,
    was this a job you did yourself? Or get someone to do it for you? How much am I looking at ? 

Am a little disillusioned by the boat...spent loads on it but seem to be going through a spell of ‘one trip out creates another problem’!

.....but this one feels likes it going financially hurt! 
    All boats financially hurt. Just ask Rasbury and Andy. The rest of the guys on here are rich
  • Options
    Hey. I jokingly made the rich comment before and just about got kicked off here. This is one of those projects that need to happen in the fall unfortunately something you can't put off. 

@PickleRick if I recall you made a gantry to pull your motor? 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @MissLee2005. About $6K in labor, $1K for the new tank. This doesn't include work on the engine while it was out and replacing a few other parts. I didn't do it myself I had the luxury of $ in the bank at the time. The gentleman who did the work previously built commercial fishing boats, so I trusted him.
    Andy
  • Options
    Thanks all for messaging, engineer stepping onboard tomorrow so I’ll find out more tomorrow!
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Hey. I jokingly made the rich comment before and just about got kicked off here. This is one of those projects that need to happen in the fall unfortunately something you can't put off. 

@PickleRick if I recall you made a gantry to pull your motor? 

I didn't have to make it.  General electric made that giant A frame to hoist gas turbines back in the 80s.

My dad was a GE turbine maintenance tech until they dissolved their turbine service shop in the 90s.  I come from a long line of grease monkeys. My dad traveled the country and even the globe helping to install/service gas and even some nuclear turbines. 

He spent lots of time in coastal areas after hurricanes getting power plants back online.  Hugo was a big money maker for GE along with Andrew.  

If im rich i want to know where my family is hiding all the money.  

• Options
    Your rich with knowledge Rick 😁
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    There is always room to learn more!
  • Options
    Found the leak!
  • Options
    Hopefully it was just a loose hose 🤞. I'm guessing not though. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    That is great news

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    well @MissLee2005
    where is the leak, can't imagine it is repairable if it is in the tank itself? Like like you can weld it up!

And actual money I have spent? Really not that much over 5 years...I did pay someone to do a coupler, 1300.00...and a prop shaft seal, 400.00. I re did the transom asy, pulling the drive and motor myself and probably spent 1500 I would guess. Now has it been sitting there broke down while I'm on here whining trying to figure it out? Yes, very much so...and I have bought 'stuff" for the boat like a camper package for $2500.00 but you spend money on any toy whether it floats or rolls down a path....
  • Options
  • Options
    Broken T piece that returns the fuel
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW, is that fuel on top of the engine??
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @MissLee2005 What a relief! It's always great when you find out you have an easy fix, not the worst case scenario.
    Andy
  • Options
    Now that's an easy fix!!!
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    That's one nice looking diesel motor. What hp is it and what outdrive do you have?

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Broken T piece that returns the fuel
    Beautiful green volvo
  • Options
    So why would there be such a fragile part in the fuel system, especially on a boat?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MissLee2005.....you didn't "dodge a bullet" you "dodged a cruise missile".....now go buy a lottery ticket! :-)
  • Options
    Got that right...I stay awake at night worrying about that tank rotting...
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    WoW, is that fuel on top of the engine??
    Yeah was loads of it....!
  • Options
    That's one nice looking diesel motor. What hp is it and what outdrive do you have?

Hi PickleRick, it’s a D4-260 with a DPH A outdrive, is quite a lump!