Options

Engine turns over, but won't start.

yppirsryppirsr Member Posts: 4
I have a 2008 Rinker 350 EC, with twin 350 mag mpi(s).   Engines have been starting and running fine to date.   Started port engine, then shut it off to fuel.   15 minutes later, engine would turn over fine, but not start.   I can hear the fuel pump cycle when I turn the key on.   It is getting fuel.

What can cause it to not fire.  Fuses, breakers, distributor cap or rotor??   Anybody else have this problem.

Running fine 1 minute, then it will crank fine, but not fire??

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check to see if your throttle lever is in neutral.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    It doesn't start at all? If it starts eventually maybe some sort of vapor lock which happens to me on occasion. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Also, it could be your IAC valve. Try to give it a little throttle and see if it will start.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    There it is. I thought maybe you would mention that in the first comment 😉. That dam IAC valve sure does seem to cause a lot of problems, gets mentioned in every thread. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    If it did it right aftert a full up id check for water in the filter.
  • Options
    If it did it right aftert a full up id check for water in the filter.
    I would think it would’ve at least started for a couple of minutes after fill up.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    He said 15 min later did he not?  Its still early lol
  • Options
    He said 15 minutes later, I’m assuming after fueling it wouldn’t start.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    Does the other one start? If not, kill switch?
  • Options
    Im glad my diesel doesn't have an iac
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you suspect the IAC, just bump the throttle open a little... that's all the IAC is doing anyway.  

check fire.  fire is most easily check with a can of starter fluid- sprayed carefully and directly into the throttle body, only a momentary pause, and then turning the key to start... if it coughs or tries to run? you've got fire and your issue is fuel or air. 

if it doesn't cough- it's fire: start at coil- use meter to see if it is lighting up... then follow to dizzy- see if the 'other' end is lighting up... check key switch- pull it out and see if the run wire is dislodged.  check kill switch... they give up the ghost too, so even if it is in right position jiggle it a bit... chase ignition wire to engine- see if there is power off the 90a fuse mounted on the starter... you 'can' bypass this fuse by removing the 90a fuse and bolting directly to the starter post, but you're not going to want to leave it that way for long...  

this has got to be simple.  don't make it any more complicated than you have to.. 

an IAC will keep you from idling.. it will necessitate more throttle (from you/lever) off idle.. it will sometimes make you have to open the throttle a little bit while trying to start... it won't prevent the engine from starting or at least coughing unless something else is going on.  

• Options
    My dad taught me how to check the spark by having me hold the bare sparkplug wire while he tried to start the motor. If i jumped we had spark.
    LoL! Good way to learn!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go with the obvious like 212 says.. beyond that, to much electronics ..crank sensor, cam sensor...computer...
  • Options
    Would the boat not being completely in neutral allow the engine to turn over but not start?
  • Options
    Yes, that’s what I mentioned earlier.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    @yppirsr for me if it isnt fully in neutral it wont turn over. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with David. Aero,...come to fla. 
    and hold my prop and I'll give it a little bump. Just kidding but sometimes I think it's all the protect us from ourselves systems are the main issues.
    Dam, I'm starting to sound like a Republican....lol
  • Options
    Problem solved. New distributor cap and rotor did the trick. Thanks for all the input.
  • Options
    Great, thank you for the update.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dad taught me how to check the spark by having me hold the bare sparkplug wire while he tried to start the motor. If i jumped we had spark.
    i was a gullible kid... i am a cynical adult. 
    my buddies dad told me to hold a plug wire to my lip- i did.. he hit the starter.  he didn't think i'd do it, or so he says.. i was probably 5 years old.. 
    i once peed on an electric fence to 'see the sparks'.. same guy suggested it, but i did it when nobody was around.  it was a pulsating charge, glory be to allah, so at first all was well- then the world became and exciting place until the charge passed.. then i got mad... and i mean mad. i was likely seven or so years old.. 

i got him back....some years later... i'll share that tale another day. it had to do with his horn connected to his brake lights switch while leaving a college football game.... where he'd parked among the rivals... he. was. livid.  so mad, in fact, we're not friends anymore.