HIN number secondary location

jdspurgeon94jdspurgeon94 Member Posts: 3
I have a 2005 Fiesta Vee 342. The hull was repainted several years ago and I just found out the HIN was painted over. While trying to remove the paint, the HIN was defaced. I have read that there should be a secondary HIN location somewhere on the boat . Any ideas where that may be? Also , how can I legally fix the HIN on the hull if I cannot find the secondary location? I can't be the only person to have this happen.

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt there's a second permanent HIN stamped into the hull.  But you might find it hand-written somewhere.  Check the bottoms of cushions in the cockpit and cabin.

If the boat has ever been documented with the USCG, there should be a documentation number somewhere.  You can look up the HIN with this link:
    https://cgmix.uscg.mil/psix/psixsearch.aspx
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this helps with your boat model, but on my FV250, the HIN is hand written inside the water heater compartment, directly behind the helm seat. Looks like they used a grease pencil aka China marker, quite crudely written.
    Andy
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭✭
    Look inside where the trash can drops into as well. It’s written there on my 312. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    On my ‘08 330 it’s in where the anchor chain/rode is stored.
    2008 330EC
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    My 342 it is written behind the cockpit fridge whitch you can see with the trash pail out and the middle light plate on the arch it is etched in to the aluminum. They must of used a lot of filler to cover the hin number is it is quite deep?? How did you purchase a 2005 342 with no hin number?
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • jdspurgeon94jdspurgeon94 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I found it after removing the cockpit trash bin and looking on the hull. It was written in 2 places there with felt marker. Doesn't look too official, but it works for me. Having a plate made to replace the one defaced on the rear outer hull.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,456 admin
    It should also be on your registration, your survey and your insurance policy...... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A quick search will give you the guideline for the new plate. But essential it says that the new plate must be easily visible and affixed permanently in such a way that removal would be obvious. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • jdspurgeon94jdspurgeon94 Member Posts: 3
    I should have provided all the details initially. I am original owner and have the HIN from the initial paperwork, registration, etc. I am selling the boat and the surveyor requires it visible on the boat. I thought the secondary location would suffice but it does not. I had a plate made and placed it on the hull in the original location as required. Thanks again to all!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that makes much more sense,  good luck on the sale.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct