Options

Excessive Gear Lube

RemembranceRemembrance Member Posts: 30
Our 6.2L Mercruiser is using excessive Gear Lube and empties when the boat sits. An average day on the lake requires that I fill it twice and the remainder leaks out over night so that it has to be refilled each time the boat is used. Last year I don't think I used two containers all year. Are there any suggestions out there?

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, for sure you have a leak.. anything in the bilge? You have a connection at the transom. Does the boat come out of the water? Do you see any sheen in the water while sitting? Losing that much should look like the valdez.. had any service done lately? Only problem I have had on our bravo lll was a pro shaft seal...probably will have to get it out of the water and do a pressure test and see where the leak is I'd no other obvious symptoms...
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don’t see a sheen in the water hopefully it’s a crack in the reservoir or a leaking hose to the drive. Like @rasbury said, that’s a lot of oil leaking and I’m sure you would see it in the water.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Get it out of the water and see if it drains out of the prop shaft seal. After just going through a YEAR of this type of issue - do not take it out for fun again till this is solved. It took more than 6 months and almost $15,000 dollars to fix it (in the end a new drive was needed). 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top off and run the boat WOT a few minutes...

Get a bag... trash bag... white preferably... put your outdrive in it (or it around your outdrive foot as high as it will reach) and tape it... fill your reservoir and walk away.  

For the love of all thats holy dont forget its on there... 

Come back and carefully remove the bag... slide it off quickly and grab the top to secure it as fast as you can... lift it a little amd inspect its contents... hope for nothing but water. 

If its clear of oil... breath deeply, and slightly squeeze your bellows.  See if it feels like its occupied with something other than air.... 

Gear oil is nasty stuff.. if its in your bilge it left remnants.  Especially around the grill of your bilge pump.  

Curiously, your bellows will "hold" a bit over two quarts of fluid.  If i were guessing about "missing drive oil"......