Docking in wind (cross wind)

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just curious what max mph wind you guys feel comfortable docking in. I think anything over 15 mph wind with 20 mph gusts I start to get a little nervous. I don’t get too nervous if it’s a straight bow or stern wind. I stern in to my slip and have no fingers. So much easier with the 330 than the 242 though.
2008 330EC

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I'd say that would about max, at least at my skill level...I watch with amazement those guys with the charter boats fly into those slips and just get there...
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Canvas down and with someone else competent on the boat I’m good with similar wind speeds (or a bit less). Anything more and I’m calling for a dock hand to meet me at the slip. 

I am also stern in but I have a finger dock. 
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its all about the flag on the gangway. Anything over 15 is tough have to play a game when to spin or when to back??
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its all about the flag on the gangway. Anything over 15 is tough have to play a game when to spin or when to back??
    Nice you have a choice.
    2008 330EC
  • JimGuy341JimGuy341 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭
    10 mph good to go, 15 mph staying at the dock.  This is why I hate the 'winds 10-15' forecast.
    2008 350 EC
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I am with @JimGuy341 on this one.  If it is that windy at the dock then normally it is pretty rough out on the water and just not enjoyable.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    15 with wind blowing me into the dock (had that Sunday night), 10 if blowing me away, unless I'm sure someone will be there to catch me.  I might go out in a little bit windier conditions if the forecast is for the winds to die down considerably in the evening.  We don't usually come back in till sunset or slightly later.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kind of like a motor cycle...I don't leave in the rain but you might get caught in it....would not go out that windy but sure might have to come back. I have had to pivot off the finger dock many times to get it backed in without hitting other boats...
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20 mph winds usually means 3-5’s or more on the lake. Dock day. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Ditto. I boat to enjoy, not fight conditions.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    Ditto. I boat to enjoy, not fight conditions.
    Sometimes it comes up on you and you don’t have a choice other than wait it out.
    2008 330EC
  • goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I stay at the dock when over 20 mph but then the a$$ two boats down from me does out and everyone else on the dock has to get him in.he hit the front of my boat on the weekend. I was pi$$ed. Not everyone are responsible boaters. 
    Post edited by raybo3 on