Your best ideas deserve a separate topic

LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
When you post your best ideas and your toughest questions, consider creating a new topic rather than adding them to a general discussion such as "What did you do to your boat today".  
In case you haven't noticed, our modest little Rinker forum has grown into one of the world's premier resources for owners of express cruisers and runabouts.  New members are joining faster than ever before, from all countries and all boat manufacturers, because this is the place for answers and ideas. 
Consider how a new member would find your idea or question.  Are they going to slog through 1600+ comments in "What did you do to your boat today" or 600+ comments in "Rinker 330/340 Random Topics" looking for something that might interest them?  Probably not.  Your information will quickly get buried and become less useful. 
The general discussions are great, but in some cases a separate topic makes more sense.  

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Great idea. We have 8260 members and almost 2 million pages viewed. Yes this is becoming a very large resource site. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I belong to a Ford truck forum and there is a thread on ForScan, which allows you to add, subtract and change features on your truck. The post is over 2000 comments long. I don’t have the patience to look through that many comments, so I just bypass it. Maybe the Mods could lock the thread mentioned above. Just a thought....
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    But the what did you do today is a great place for simple things like @J3ff showing off his keys disease and @Willhound to show off the swim platfrom of the century.

I do think we need to make a conscious effort to post big things on its own thread, like my 235 rebuild and @aero3113 and his band new boat build.  

Once I get some service work done to my VM.4.2 id like to do a review and show work/mods done as there is little on this engine anywhere on the web
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I post interesting stuff in new threads and the stuff that only @aero3113 might care about in the aforementioned 330/340 thread. I don’t think anyone will be searching for redesigning galley cabinets. 

I do appreciate the shout out though. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, absolutely - don't kill those long general threads!  But if I go a few days without reading them, suddenly there are 100 new comments that I don't have time to read, and it gives me FOMO anxiety!  

@YYZRC you'd be surprised how often I search Google and it leads me back to a thread on this forum.  
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:

@YYZRC you'd be surprised how often I search Google and it leads me back to a thread on this forum.  
    I have the same experience. This forum is barely behind the hull truth or cruisers forum for search results. 

The bigger issue in my opinion is that people don’t post the relevant info in the subject line (year/model/powertrain). That would make a massive difference in search results. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Yes, I have an addiction and have to read every comment on every topic!  (as LaRea mentioned FOMO!) I'd never close those large topics, they are great.  But I do agree, good ideas deserve their own topic.  I wish the search was better on this forum. It'd be great to have options like dates (search for something you know was done in 2020 about say "heat exchanger", which is something I did but took a while to find).  The search doesn't even organize it by year or anything in particular.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn , I have the same addiction. I can’t have any yellow unread posts!
    2008 330EC