Options

Anchoring out

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
While we have spent many a night on our 270, we have not spent a night on the hook.i will be doing that weekend after next...by myself! The place I'm going is up a natural spring that feeds into the river. It's kind of a long narrow run so boats tend to anchor side ways to the current and throw an anchor out the bow and stern as there is a little bit of current. I'm concerned about foul weather over night, is it safe to anchor overnight that way. They don't space to allow natural swing off the bow anchor .. 

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not nearly as good of a hold.  The bow offers least resistance.  I wouldn't sleep well if there was any thunder in the distance.  
  • Options
    I'm not sure you got my question..I'm concerned that if I have an anchor out the bow and the stern, could a strong gust of wind roll the boat?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Won't roll the boat, would drag anchor.  Would take tornado type winds to roll the boat.  Cleats would rip id think before a 270 could roll.  The anchors would never hold that strong. 
  • Options
    This is what id prefer.  
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    If I had 500 ft of rode,! And that is not going to stop the boat from moving if the current comes from the side..looks good if your in a tidal area until it goes the other way?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    How deep?  And current speed? 5 to 1 scope on each anchor? You'd need more scope for bow and stern on each anchor if against current.  

You dont have lines between anchor just one line from bow to each anchor.

• Options
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Set an anchor alarm too. There are a few phone apps available and my Garmin at the helm has one built in
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I almost always throw a stern anchor especially when spending Night, or anchoring for day most boats around also have stern anchor out . I don’t want direction to change and pull bow anchor. I’m often anchored with the stern towards shore 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @bella-vita I hope your not running your genny
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    @rasbury why are you anchoring cross current anyway? If not tidal won’t the current stay the same direction and then you jut bow into it, anchor as usual and drop a stern also to keep her straight.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    @bella-vita I hope your not running your genny
    Def no stern anchor when running a generator overnight. 
  • Options
      rasbury said:
    If I had 500 ft of rode,! And that is not going to stop the boat from moving if the current comes from the side..looks good if your in a tidal area until it goes the other way?
    You said river/spring so I figured your current is constant.  In tidal areas on this set up you are going to have to watch the tide and reset.

Your issue is going to be when running the genny, the wind and current are rarely going to go in the same direction.  
  • Options
    benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    I don’t understand comments about running gen overnight. CO in cabin?
  • Options
    Yes.  When running any engine you want to be spinning freely by the bow so all fumes get pushed downwind away from the boat. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Not looking to start a safety debate regarding genny usage and anchoring but doesn’t everyone have 2 or more CO monitors on board?! I replace every 2 years at $35 each it’s cheap safety. And I don’t worry about anchoring with a stern line. I just try to point the bow any direction but due east as east winds are rare here but west or SW/NW are common. 
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I have 3 but the kiddo has an aft bedroom with a door.   My 235 was so small I only used one.  

But yes 2 should be good I'd think.  

I don't think is a debate, just keeping all aboard safe.  

I also don't use a stern anchor when running anyting except maybe to fire up a microwave for. 3 min
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I would just do bow into current with a stern anchor as well (as already mentioned).  Having bow cutting the current would make a smoother calm night.  

YYZRC, we have done all types of anchoring as well and just have 3 CO detectors (one being portable with readings that sit in the aft cabin with the kids.  We don't runny genny overnight, but do anchor with others that do.  I'll add that even with wind in correct direction off the bow, that CO can come in.  I've seen it come in thru the side thru the sink drain (yes, I've measure it there).  So, detectors are your best friend.

...back to topic.  Ras, why would you make your first night of anchoring so difficult! :smile:  & alone??

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    I'll add that even with wind in correct direction off the bow, that CO can come in.  I've seen it come in thru the side thru the sink drain (yes, I've measure it there). 
    Wow! 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Ya l have 3 carbon monoxide detectors 2 show the level it detects.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Cause no one wants to go with  me...so...so here are a couple of pictures of the run, the second how boats stack up which is across the lite current so bow and stern out to hold position...so...is this ok overnight or not?,
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    If i was local. We anchor out every weekend.  

On the hook life lol
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I hope there is no one else there..or maybe just a couple....had something come up to delay a little..it is really pretty there...silver glen , ocala fl...used to be private and buck a$$ wild but the state took it over...

Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Im sure you'll still have a great time. Probably even more so if you have the place to yourself.  We love anchoring in seclucded spots.  Even before covid we didn't like other boaters rolling up on our private party.

Are you keeping track of this hurricane?
  • Options
    Nah...does not sound like much of an event and moving quickly but do catch the news..