Options

Gel coat faded

MyloMylo Member Posts: 44

I have 2003 Rinker 312 Dark Blue sides, gel coat is faded , had wheeled out but doesn't last long, fading comes back, anyone know what can be put on the dark blue to restore the color.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paint or vinyl wrap. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I never tried it but people have great results with Poli Glow.
    Post edited by aero3113 on
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have also heard good things about poli glow.

Going to try it on my new boat this fall.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had great results with poliglow on my black Rinker. When the new owner goes by my dock I can see her glisten. Well worth the $75 kit, just watch their videos to be sure you do it right. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X3 on the PoliGlow.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    If @Willhound gives it a good review you know its good.  His 270 looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor and she's what, 20 yrs old?    

How does it work on the textured parts of the gelcoat, the walk areas?  

My boats like to grow a black spots on the gelcoat.  Can start to appear in just a week or two after a wash and wax.  Scrubs off easily so long as its not left too long.  The admirals car does the same.  

Any ideas on how to prevent it?  Poliglow isnt a wax is it? 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick - PoliGlow does have a nonskid version of their coating. Could be the same stuff as the hull, I dont know, but its for non-skid. You may want to look in to that.

We occasionally get black spots on the bow of the boat, its mildew from very wet indoor storage. Spots are gone with statbrite mold/mildew spray in just a few minutes and dont come back for most of the summer. That said, if you get a crazy morning dew most mornings then it may come back faster for you. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I currently dont store under my garage where i stored the rinker with bimini up. I have to raise it 3 more feet to fit the 2859.  

We don't get tons of summer rain (usually) but in the south we have stupid levels of high humidity and heavy dew often.  Keeping it in the shade makes it ripe for mold and mildew.

I usually spray on bathroom cleaner and spray off and it goes away. If I stay on top of it I don't have to scrub.

Id like to prevent it from growing in the first place.

• Options
    @PickleRick I don't use it on the upper part of the non skid for fear of making it slippery. As @Liberty44140 mentions there's a non skid version but I haven't tied it. I just use Starbrite non skid deck cleaner and a stiff brush after storage and all those black spots come off.
  • Options
    MyloMylo Member Posts: 44
    Thanks Guys, Appreciate the feedback, I will try Poli Glow
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That deck cleaner is good but I'm guessing takes the wax with it...
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    Have any of you guys tried compounding the non skid to get rid of the chalkiness? I can definitely see the difference in color from where I polished up to the non skid
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a round stiff bristle brush and put on my polisher with 3m wax with light compound combo...worked real well on the swim plat form and the bow non skid and then put some other liquid was on top of that...
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always have black spots on the bow like to find some kind of wax or sealer to keep it white.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I always have black spots on the bow like to find some kind of wax or sealer to keep it white.

This is what i want!
  • Options
    Gotta be careful with that. I recall one if the guys on here posting a while back about waxing the top deck and caused a slip and cracked bone. There are some non skid coatings out there. 
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    @rasbury did the compound with the brush bring back the color?