Options

Installing custom cherry wood cabin steps from diggin2day1 (Keith)

andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
My sons bought me some of Keith's custom wood steps for Father's Day. They arrived yesterday and are a fantastic upgrade. Here is how the install process went on my 06 FV250.

Keith packaged the shipment so well, first step took a while, removing the bubble wrap!
Here are the old shabby carpet steps "before."
The old nylock nuts and threaded studs installed at the factory were damaged when they trimmed off the excess length of the bolt threads with an angle grinder. This made two nuts on each step very difficult to remove because of the buggered threads which caused the stud to turn with the nut. I was able to lock the stud in place by applying upward leverage to the step. Here's how the old threads looked:

Once both steps were out I installed the lower step first. Initially I thought the cutout for the step post was too small, but it was just a very snug fit. A dab of Vaseline on each side eased it in place nicely with light force using the palm of my hand. Quite an amazing piece of precision wood cutting! All the threaded studs on the new step lined up perfectly. The new nuts and washers went on easily, quite a contrast to removing the old ones! Here is a close up of how PERFECTLY the lower step fit onto the step post.

Here is the project completed:
Thanks Keith, I'm in awe of your workmanship. I can't say enough about how this is really an amazing improvement to the look of the cabin.
Andy

Comments