Options

Rebuild hydraulic steering

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone ever rebuild hydraulic steering at the helm? Realized mine has a drip, you can see the fluid drip right in the middle of the black cylinder. It’s slow but I realized something is coming out under the helm. This is the under side of the helm. Looks like I can buy a seal kit from $12. Is this pretty easy to remove and rebuild? Disconnect the hydro lines?

07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a standard seastar helm?  I think they bought out nearly all competitors.  

• Options
    Yes, it is a diesel V-Drive Cruisers 390 with hydraulic steering and yes there is an auto pilot.
    It is a Seastar HH5742. I do have an email in to Seastar. I think that this is something I can pretty easily replace the seals on myself but wanted to see what the experts here knew :) Thanks

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I've never done a helm but ive done many wheel motors and hydraulic pumps on zero turn mowers.  It's a simple clean, teardown on clean surface, clean all parts again then re assmble if all metal to metal surfaces look good using new seals and o rings.  Observe proper torque settings and sequence if applicable.

Make sure your hoses/fittings are not the culprit.  Cleaning with some brake cleaner then spraying down with antiperspirant deodorant spray will help show source of leak.  

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I may have over reacted here a little. Went to west marine and bought a quart of fluid and it took an ounce or less meaning very little is gone. By the next day I could see that around that much came out again and then then the “leak” stopped. So now I’m thinking that it’s not leaking but more overflows to a certain point and stops. Sea star said that most leaks are at the fittings and not the unit leaking but if the unit is leaking I’d need to send it in for a $200 rebuild. Going to just closely monitor for now 😉 

• Options
    It was dometic that acquired or bought seastar.   I couldn't remember details.  As I get older the longer it takes for info to come back to me.    

• Options
    Yep it was dometic who responded to me