Options

Windlass stopped working

tonystoytonystoy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
Took the boat out last weekend and anchored over at a local beach. Windlass worked fine to drop anchor. As we were going to leave, attempted to pull the anchor up with the windlass, with no luck! I can hear a clicking noise when the button is pushed at the helm. The breaker under my helm seat is not tripped. I am heading down there with my voltmeter at some point this week. Anything I should be looking for??
I should add, the windlass is not working in either direction now.

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Defender.com  $750 for the Lemar 700.
    If you pull the road out and still have no movement there are a couple of bearings in side that bind up.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isnt there a replaceable gear or key that can strip?   A few of the guys on this board have been into their lemar
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this should be a 700. I don't think you posted your model number
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes the lewmar 600 has a roller pin ~$50 that sits on the shaft as a key to the gypsy.  The outside nut that provides your pressure can come loose and allow it to just spin but that would show as the motor runs but it doesn't retract.  It would just spin loosely.  The clicking you hear sounds more like an electrical issue.  

I tried replacing parts on mine, and they aren't cheap.  I finally bought and installed the 700 as mentioned above and really like it.  It is a huge improvement.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    I am not sure of the model. I should be down at the boat in the next couple of days. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the nut on the clutch. If it loosenes it will not pull up. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I have that wrench to tighten the nut. It’s loosened before and I’ve had to tighten it. This is different though, the motor doesn’t even attempt to turn. It doesn’t even make a noise, besides the “click”
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Last week as we were leaving our anchor spot - the chain doubled up in the windlass. 

Long story short, after I cleared the chain knot - nothing from the windlass. Checked the fuse panel, breaker was good. Stumped, I sat down & had a tall boy.......

Remembered there was another primary breaker in with the battery switches. It had flipped off.

So, maybe check for another breaker? Although you do hear a click.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    @mattie...good call! There was another breaker by the battery switches that was tripped. I used it a few times this week with no issues at all. Maybe the chain got hung up in the windlass for a second and caused it to trip because it’s working great now. 🤞🏽
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    I know right! 

Boats - you cant rush stuff. Sometimes you have to sit down & reflect.....to figure it out. 
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current