Options

Lets install a mermaid 9000 btu air conditioner!

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in Rinker Custom Projects
This is in my 2001 bayliner 2859 but install will apply to nearly all similar size boats. 

I chose this brand as it will have zero issues running off of my 2200 watt generac quiet inverter generator.

I will post pics as i go.  Here a few pics of me opening the boxes and going over my check lists a long with loading into the car.

Install will begin tonight and if im lucky will finish tomorrow morning.  This boat had ac in her at one time.  She will mount under the v berth.  I plan on putting a T into my raw water transom wash down they hull which was originally for the ac anyway.  I don't want more holes in my hull than what i already have.  Running the wash down may cause the pressure switch to trip but others have run it to the toilet pick up without issues.  We shall find out. We use the wash down much less than the head.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Sold another one of my boats last night so not much done.  

Running wiring, hose and duct work right now.  Have to make a quick run to the hardware store. 
  • Options

Home depot didn't have all I needed.  On to a real hardware store.
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Subscribed.  How big of a footprint does the unit require?
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Bathroom vent like the big boats
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    other than some leaks i need to repair along with pump install below the water line, i have a working air conditioner.  I thought I got a self priming pump 🤔

Right now im in the drive way. I have a T installed in the seacock and running the unit on a garden hose.  I also ran it on the generator to be sure i was good there.  

Im not running it long as I don't want to over or under power the ac pump with the garden hose. I just needed to be sure she turned on and cooled properly.  

The door to the head is going to remain open during operation.  It cools down that little area very quickly.  

I don't know how much space im cooling.  I have a huge cabin,  near endless windows(blacked out)   and an aft bedroom that fits a full sized mattress.  
    I have a 4 inch vent in the aft bedroom.

I have a 4 inch vent in the bathroom.

I then have a 6x12 vent on top of the counter in the galley.  

6 inch duct is feeding the big vent.  I was told at least three 4 inch vents for this system.

The air intake is under the v berth.  

I keep a box fan on board to circulate the air while running the ac.  I may invest in some smaller 12v fans but the box fan stows against the v berth or under the table very easily and is nice to put by the engine bay when working on the trailer with shore power.  

This boat spoils me as when the kiddo is with his mom I have tons of storage space in the aft berth. 

Still have other bugs to work out like windows that leak like crazy but that will be another thread