Options

Rinker 410 with diesel

goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
This is probably a good question for Al. I have been looking at a 2005 410 and according to the serial number on the engine it is a 380 hp Cummins 5.9 . All the info I can see on the 410  suggests that it came with 420 hp 24 valve. I know Al was involved in the production and testing and is the 380 hp enough to push this 24,000 pound boat. Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Is around 20 knots cruising fast enough for you?  

• Options
    Thanks Al. I know those Cummins have a lot of torque and the wheels on the 410 are huge. Pickle 20 knots ? Where did you pull that info from. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    That size im assuming its inboard which is more comforable in seas but less efficient top/crusing speed.

Then factor in crusing rpm and wot speeds

Im kidding... I'm not that smart

When we go charter fishing boats we always do private chaters.  I choose a particular size/type boat that can move pretty well back and forth from the reefs.

All the boats we have chartered in the past 4 years have been 38 to 42 ft planing hulls.  All are inboard diesels.  All have marine ac for the family.

The crusing rpm speed of the most recent 40 footer we rented had twin@350 hp cat or crusader (can't remember) and we were between 20 and 22 knots cruise speed. 

Since the hulls are similar in size and hp, engines have similar rpm range its somewhat easy to estimate speeds. 

I think the rinker has a superior hull design than most mass built hulls.  A clean unpainted bottom would move the fastest. 

I think for every 10 hp you add you can gain about 1 more mph.  That will give you an idea of about what the difference between the two. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments. I would think when running a larger cruiser you are not interested in speed just gallons per hour. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    It all depends.  I still like to get there quick.  Cruise speed for me is 28-30 kts.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I think 20 is just fine. That said I cruise at 29mph on my diesel 39, but I’d have no problem buying a boat that cruises at 20. My in laws fly cruises at 18 and it’s a very nice ride and we don’t feel slow or anything. Most of my friends with 40ft boats with diesel cruise at 25 and it’s just fine. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited August 2020
    The cost per gallon for diesel makes the fuel savings a wash unless you use the boat all the time.

Where she shines is on the increased range per tank.

After two weekends of use I had not used a full 1/4 tank of fuel in my new diesel.  I thought maybe i had a sticky fuel sending unit.  I pulled the fuel fill hose just to have a peak.  

Twin big blocks go 30 knots from gas pump to gas pump.

• Options
    But, it sure is a lot of fun!!!  Unfortunately, fuel is the cheapest part of my boating.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Agree with Dream, if I look at my annual budget to own the boat fuel is 5% of it..... maybe 10% if we do a very big trip but Covid prevented that expense for 2020. 

Fuel is so variable that its hard to include that in deciding to buy a boat. Here, diesel at the dock is always lower than gas. But of course gas today at $3.50 (diesel $2.50) could be $4.50+ next summer. Best to plan for the worst...

Goalie you will be just fine on speed, and fuel burn. If I were you I would be most interested in the current conditions of the engines. I would do oil analysis on both mains and genny, and transmissions, I'd have a cummins certified tech with laptop go through them and go out for a ride, that is where you want your mind to be in addition to the structural survey. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    But, it sure is a lot of fun!!!  Unfortunately, fuel is the cheapest part of my boating.

I bet you can pull 4 skiers behind it too!   

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Dream_Inn said:
    I bet you can pull 4 skiers behind it too!   
    hmmm, never had the urge more than two! :)

• Options
    Show off!!!

The power band of the big blocks is impressive. They have so much versatility.  

The only diesel engines coming close to that are the newer vw/audi tdi and yanmars.  

I am a huge fan of what these new v6/v8 and even v10 tdi diesels can do.  From 1000 hp rock crawlers to marine applications
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice Liberty. My biggest concern is the condition of the heat exchangers and the aftercoolers can be an issue if they have not been maintained. I am not at that point yet but if I am I will be sure to have everything inspected.