Options

Ski locker won't drain on '98 Captiva 192

RangerRanger Member Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in Rinker Sport Boat Forum
Well heres the deal ... we just bought this boat for my Birthday and everything is great on it except the ski locker won't drain. Bought it and brought home Friday evening. Thought it was rain water and there was just some trash in the drain. Didn't think it was a major show stoper since we have owned boats for over 30 year and know them well...or so we thought.... lol. I have tried air compressor, presherd water, stiff wire, fishing rod without guides, toilet plunger, you name it.... Lol. Then I shop vaced it out...got it all dried out and tried all of the above again. I even tried a rifle bore up both sides. One side it slid through fine the other I pushed something but still won't drain. I know it has two places under the gas tank where it drains so I'm assuming it is a Y configuration under there. Did they put some kind of flaper valve on it ?? I'm really at a loss on this one. I have never had it be such a pain to drain one like this. Can anyone help with where I can find a drawing of how this thing is put together? Or if anybody has had this happen to you and have any ideas PLEASE chime in....I'm stuck. Thanks! Phil

Comments

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
  • Options
    cmscms Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited July 2013
    Same issue.  '05 192.  On the trailer (hooked to SUV) the ski locker will not drain.  Washed inside the ski locker this weekend and the water just sat there.  Blocked the wheels, unhooked from SUV (on slight incline) and jacked the tongue to the moon.  Water came pouring out the drain plug for a good minute and a half. 
    Post edited by cms on
  • Options
    I did finally get to talk to the people a Rinker, who told me that it is open are from the ski locker to the first bulkhead.  The way he described was there are 3 bulkheads before the bilge area.  The first (from the ski locker area to the back), has the drain holes in it 3 inches high, the second 2 inches high and the third, 1 inch high, then into the bilge.  This is stepped that way so if it fills with water, it will not fill the whole boat at the same time.   I also noticed that the drain hole in the rear of the boat is about 3 inches above the bottom of the bilge floor, so the water would have to be 3 inches deep to drain out the plug.  I took it to the boat ramp, which was a 30 degree incline and let it sit. Almost all of the water came out.  It was a small steady stream and not a big stream all at once, which does make sense, if the bottom is stepped as he described. It does require a steep angle to get the water out.  I was not used to this as my previous boat, a Bayliner, hardly ever took on water and if it did it would drain even hooked to the truck going down the road.  Still bugs me, but I will see.
  • Options
    I thought of that, but I cringe at the thought of drilling more holes in the boat.  I keep tubes of 3M 5200 near me at all times.  I grew up in Florida and I have been on a boat that sunk 2 miles out.  Don't want to do that again
    :-SS
  • Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    @mvn I tried to follow the link you posted in the 192 drain problem but it does not seem to be working.  It is telling me the site can not be reached.  I changes the link to vanillacommunities rather than vanillaforums but did not get any answers as to why mine will not drain.  Did you ever solve this problem?