Any of you replace your generator before?

2»

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MiamiAG said:
    It is in an insulated case. I'm actually trying to find a tech that will tell me it can be fixed in situ rather than chucking it. The last tech that came to see it couldn't figure out a fix for the errors and said that the rotor had to be re-wound and so it wasn't worth doing.

As life would have it, or "this being a boat...", I need to take off the heat exchanger to clean it because I'm getting too hot at full throttle. If I do need to replace the generator, now would be a good time because removing the heat exchanger would likely open up enough room to remove it as one piece.

Of course, the $6,000 for a new geny and the $2,000 to clean the heat exchanger may force me to delay this endeavor until next season.
    You should try the liquid cleaner method for cleaning the heat exchangers. Cummins makes a good one. Maybe Cat too
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    How bad is it?  I've had white vinegar work miracles on clogged heater cores.  Less than 5 bucks a gallon. 
  • MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Well, my Volvo diesel mechanic says it's a pain to remove the heat exchanger because he needs to remove the turbo and the oil cooler first. Then he takes it to the shop for a cleaning with something called Rydlyme. 

I don't know how bad it is but my research seems to indicate that even young engines like this 7 year old D4 are having to have the heat exchangers cleaned way too soon due to a design flaw.
    2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP
    Good luck. Boats are too expensive to maintain for me. 
  • MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Agreed. I may just do a seaflush.com before removing the heat exchanger to see if that fixes things, at least it pushes back the inevitable.
    2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP
    MiamiAG said:
    Agreed. I may just do a seaflush.com before removing the heat exchanger to see if that fixes things, at least it pushes back the inevitable.
    If you know how to do it you could go to an AC supply house and get a gallon of descaler 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X2 on handy, my kohler diesel generator is a yanmar motor 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)