Options

Removal Of Gas Tanks - Rinker EC 360

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
I got a telephone call from someone who knew I used to own an EC 360. I was asked if it would be a "big job" to replace the gas tanks on an EC 360. I said I thought it would but I'd get back to them. I didn't say it, but I cringe at the thought of removing those. Any comments?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
     I bet those tanks were put in before they sandwich the two half's together. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not seen many boats that had easily removable fuel tanks.  Its usually an engine(s) removal and cut out, fiberglass back in affair.  
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Per Al, on the 342 they are removable from in the cabin. Can’t speak for the 360 obviously. I know a few boats (quite abit older) that had them
    out: sawzall and reglass the deck. 😬

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks guys. My guess is a serious disassembly of the cabin interior as I think those tanks a looong way under both sides of the cabin floor. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I realize this is a 360 but If it is like the 342 there is a great video on this site from DanD2 showing exactly how to take apart the aft cabin to get to the water and waste tanks and he also opens up the fuel tank compartments. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Michael T said:
    Thanks guys. My guess is a serious disassembly of the cabin interior as I think those tanks a looong way under both sides of the cabin floor. 
    Why did you bring this up Michael?
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    Why did you bring this up Michael?

He's thinking of buying an RV 😂😂😂

Being able to cut them out of the cabin is good news.

Tape everything up like youre going to be painting a ceiling with a sprayer. The fiberglass dust goes everywhere even if you have a helper to hold a shop vac to help suck out any dust.  

Sawzaw works well.  Multi tool with scalloped blade works well.  Side grinder with zip wheel is quickest and makes the most dust.  Side grinder was my go to once the fuel tank was out so I didn't have to worry about sparks.  
  • Options
    I’m saying why would gas tanks leak on a newer model 360?
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    I’m saying why would gas tanks leak on a newer model 360?
    Because it’s a boat @Handymans342 lol
    And we all know what BOAT means except me. BHahahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    BOAT = Best Of All Things
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that @LaRea !!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Thanks guys and of course particularly to Al -the "final word" on all matters Rinker. The reason Steve (Handy) was that I was minding my own business (hard to believe, eh) at a marina and a guy walked up to us and said he was told I used to have a Rinker EC360. He said he had one (I believe he said a 2013) and was told the Starboard gas tank was leaking. I asked him how he knew and he told me his marina tech had told him. I asked if he had seen a difference in fuel levels of the two tanks - no.  I asked if anyone had been doing work - like installing something involving screws - no. He said he got down in the bilge and said he smelled gas in the Starboard bilge area. I asked if that could have been coming from his generator. He wasn't sure. I told him I thought it would be a big process to remove a tank but he should definitely get a second opinion. I was pretty sure that it was going to be a big deal but he looked so depressed that I hated to say it - and thought I'd better ask you guys to make sure I hadn't scared the $hit out of the poor guy by mistake. 
  • Options
    Thanks MT. There are many of us on here that have had that “depressed” look lol
  • Options
    When a gas leak is involved being ovetly cautious is always a great game plan.  Getting a 2nd mechanic to pressue test the tank wouldnt be a bad idea.

I wonder if the tank could be pumped dry enough so he could run safely on the other tank, finish boating this season?  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could this be an insurance claim? 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully the leak is a hose or connection and not the tank 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited August 2020
    @Alswagg.....yes, I don't think the guy got good advice or maybe he misunderstood. We all suggested he get a second opinion and I suggested he join this forum and post some pictures and comments. Poor bugger - looked like a deer caught in the headlights.
  • Options
    The only Rinkers that had problems with gas tanks were the models with tanks in the middle belly
  • Options
    @Handymans342.....was in a cruiser last weekend and the gas tanks were slightly domed to keep any potential water from pooling on them. not sure if the tank bases were kept of the fiberglass bottom in any way.