Options

Where is all this dust coming from??

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well this is a new one.. anyone had the fire insulation just fall apart? What else can this boat throw at me? It did not escape me that the drive oil is now at half when 2 weeks ago it was at the full line.. (wtf?)..

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Kinda looks like your port riser is overheating? Next time you have the boat running, feel the starboard side and compare to port. You should be able to keep your hand on them.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I put those engine covers on my 350s will I get extra HP?!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup. Had it happen on my old Maxum, just starts disintegrating. Now my 310 is starting. The adhesive has started to fail and I'm getting upside-down "blisters."

It's going to be one of my winter projects to install new insulation. If anyone has brand recommendations - please post.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    aero3113 said:
    Kinda looks like your port riser is overheating? Next time you have the boat running, feel the starboard side and compare to port. You should be able to keep your hand on them.
    so obvious when someone points it out, thank you. will grab a temp gun and check it out. 

I do have a new set of risers here in the closet just waiting to go in.... it's been 3.5 years... however engine temp was fine today. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aside frim a leak, you can get air bubbles that will work out of the drive and into the lube reservoir causing it to drop in level. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    What does one do about an over heating riser? This is the fresh water cooled version if that means anything. 
  • Options
    I’m guessing that the raw water side of the riser is plugged up? I don’t think it’s worth trying to clean it, just replace. Do the hand test first to make sure it’s definitely overheating.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    So it doesnt seem to be any hotter... but that side of the heat shield is hanging down while the other side isnt.. do we really need the heat shield? I know that's catastrophic in aviation.. is it the same in this boat? :) 
  • Options
    Don’t forget it’s a sound shield also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Can't even really wrap myself around this repair though.. does it use glue or something? assume one would have to rip it all off and start over.. not exactly fun in the summer florida heat.
  • Options
    If you can still use it,Poke a small hole in it and use some 3M spray adhesive. Use one of the red tubs that comes with the can to get it up and in. Clean it really well and stick on a new layer of mat from the auto store over it. They come in different thicknesses.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Have you ever been in a bathroom with in-floor heating?  If you remove the insulation, your cockpit will have a nice heated floor for a few hours after running the engine.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Have you ever been in a bathroom with in-floor heating?  If you remove the insulation, your cockpit will have a nice heated floor for a few hours after running the engine.  
    Everything here is heated all the time!  :D The sun takes care of that 
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    I’m guessing that the raw water side of the riser is plugged up? I don’t think it’s worth trying to clean it, just replace. Do the hand test first to make sure it’s definitely overheating.
    Port is 5 degrees or so hotter ... At times... At 1500 rpm the tops are about 102 degrees... Under load at 4k seems to be hitting about 130 on both... Raw water temp today is 91.4