Options

It's baacckk!

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
I sealed my port lights 2 seasons ago and have enjoyed a dry cabin ever since. Until today. Sigh....
We had torrential rains this past week as the remnants of that hurricane came through. When my bare feet hit the carpet at the bottom of the cabin steps it squished. Soaked. Also down the side of the galley cabinet and the front corner of the aft mattress. And on the starboard side the combing next to the head wall is also soaked. I suspect the windshield on the port side and the rub rail on the starboard based on where the wet areas are. Will also re-seal the port lights while I'm at it. To be fair the boat is 20 years old.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It never ends bro
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Our basement got it too. That was a crazy amount of rain on Monday.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    We got almost 6 inches of rain in Annapolis.  20 miles away got 10 inches.  I'll be at the boat tonight.  I had my isinglass off and my other black leather stuff up.  My son works at the marina and said everything looked ok.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    It never ends bro
    Yep. I've never owned a boat that was completely dry. But then, I've never owned a new boat either.....
  • Options
    We had 3 inches of rain last night in 1.5 hours. RV, bone dry. Just sayin. 
  • Options
    Happy that's the case. Well built. And I hope it keeps up. Depends how long you keep it. I deal all day long with RVs, trailers etc. that eventually leak. Only difference is that boats can leak from down and up. RV's top down.
    Having said that, our eventual plan is an RV for retirement.  But...i'll still own a boat.😎 
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    Happy that's the case. Well built. And I hope it keeps up. Depends how long you keep it. I deal all day long with RVs, trailers etc. that eventually leak. Only difference is that boats can leak from down and up. RV's top down.
    Having said that, our eventual plan is an RV for retirement.  But...i'll still own a boat.😎 
    Willhound said:
    Me too but my boat will not have any carpet 
  • Options
    Me too. My brother bought a place on Tierra Verde last year and was investigating someone to renovate it when Covid hit. Has a lift and we're looking at a Centre Console with vinyl floor.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the port lights are good, check where the bow rail meets the deck and the nav lights. My 280 was leaking at a location where the bow rail and nav light are inches apart. I chased that leak for a few months. When I found it, sealed it, and now I am dry. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm a little worried about the rail mounts. I really don't want to have to cut the headliner to access the nuts. I might try just running a head around the top side and hope for the best. (Yeah, I know....)
    Will do the trim rings and rub rail also. Can't do my windshield until I source out some new rubber trim. I know you guys in th US source it from Taylormade but a tad bit more problematic here in Canuckistan.
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I just ordered new windshield gasket from Taylor Made. It was $65 USD all in including shipping. $25 for the gasket and the rest for shipping and “handling”  :|
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I've seen a few CDN online marine retailers with it. Just have to check the profile.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure you just didn't get a tonne of water in the cockpit that overflowed into the cabin. The rain WAS INSANE.  I've never seen that much rain in my backyard in such a short period.  We had 2" in less than 1 hour ... 3" total.  Really, it was crazy, so it wouldn't be a surprise if that little drain in front of the cabin door just wasn't cutting it.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Yeah. Im sure. The main leak was up high. I can track the water as it came in behind the galley cabinet and ran towards the aft bunk and then down to the cabin sole in front of the stairs. And the other side is up high by the storage shelf/combing that runs along the v-berth. No biggie. That's what 4000UV and fans and anti-mildew sprays are for. I'm in an open slip. Rain happens.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    Windshield.
    I'm thinking that also. At least on port side. Starboard is too far forward, I'm thinking rub rail on that side. Will do all anyway. No time until Tuesday.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I removed the windshield on a brand NEW Rinker because of leaks. I believe I posted the results here. In short EMBARRASSING: loose screws, drilled holes with NO screws, screws that had been broken off. I spent a day with a dealer tech removing ALL the screws and rebedding them (4200 not 5200) and hand tightening them the last few turns. NO more mid cabin leaks. Good luck!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I first bought my 330 the mid bilge had a lot of water in it. I vacuumed it all out. I sealed the windshield screws, and a lot of other areas. It’s been bone dry since.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    I removed the windshield on a brand NEW Rinker because of leaks. I believe I posted the results here. In short EMBARRASSING: loose screws, drilled holes with NO screws, screws that had been broken off. I spent a day with a dealer tech removing ALL the screws and rebedding them (4200 not 5200) and hand tightening them the last few turns. NO more mid cabin leaks. Good luck!
    So it IS a rinker problem. I felt like that had to be the case here. I've owned other boats and I have friends with lots of other boats, I've NEVER heard of top side leaks from other boats unless the owner decided to mess with it in modificational ways.