Options

Seacore Engine Overheat

2»

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I’d also raise the drive to get intake up as far as you can. 
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    In order to try and understand where I need to look for leaks I found info from various places and tried to combine them into one basic cheat sheet I can use to learn from.

Here is what I came up with...

Orange is anti-freeze and Blue is seawater. Most documents I found call the anti-freeze side "fresh water" but I found that confusing since I boat in "fresh" water, so I'm just calling it what's in the system.

Does this look accurate for a Mercruiser 350 MAG MPI Alpha/Bravo EC Seacore?

Any corrections, errors, omissions I should make?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Looks good. #23 is the steering pump cooler.  It's typically the first place, after the seawater pump, that stuff could clog things up on the raw water (blue) side.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's number 19? I have leak right there... 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Water distribution housing. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Water distribution housing. 
    Thanks - can it be changed in water? I assume just stuff two rags into the hoses...? 
  • Options
    Yes, the distribution housing can easily be changed in the water.  They tend to get brittle and crack after a while.

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yea you want to get that hose above the water line and then no water will come in while you change the pump. Ask around the marina for wooden plugs, will make a big difference if you can find some to plug the hoses as soon as you can. 

Look like this:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafit--wooden-emergency-bungs-plugs--4641080?cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC%3EBrand-_-4641080&product_id=4641080&creative=343879478299&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjw4MP5BRBtEiwASfwAL3XTnzWOgs_DgU4YL0Megq_uzqZxB0dTZruIuuC5gMOKZylSPx8CsxoCXggQAvD_BwE
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    J3ff said:
    Thanks - can it be changed in water? I assume just stuff two rags into the hoses...? 
    For an interesting experiment, just disconnect the hoses and leave them disconnected for a few minutes.  See how easily your bilge pump keeps up with it.  

Yes, stuff a rag into the input hose, and don't stress about it.  
  • Options
    Nice clean bilge afterward!!
  • Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    Yes, the distribution housing can easily be changed in the water.  They tend to get brittle and crack after a while.
    I did mine near end of last season, someone along the way had tweaked the blue plug and affected a “fix”. I unscrewed it and the fix de-fixed and thought I’d flood the engine room but only a trickle. Found another online and replaced no problems in water.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Just picked up a loaner pressure tester from AutoZone, looks brand new. I don't think many people have used it. I'll head over to the boat tomorrow to see if I can find the leak.

Great deal from AutoZone. Put down a deposit for the cost of the tool and if you bring it back within 90 days get money back in full. Basically a free rental.

• Options
    Definitely great deal Tony.  I did that with a pulley remover as well.  As long as you don't break it, you don't have to buy it! :wink:

• Options
    Agree! Hopefully I don't drop it in the water while boarding! This one is nice because it has adapters to also pressure test radiator caps - so I can do the original one on the exchanger as well as the replacement I bought.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those work well Tony, I borrowed the same kit from Auto Zone to test the heat exchanger for leaks on my Kohler 5E following a backfire a few years ago (from me adjusting the choke improperly). Great test kit. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Well, none of the adapters in the AutoZone pressure test kit fit either my cap, fill top, or the overflow container. I did get one of the "universal" adapters to fit the overflow jug, but wouldn't hold a seal.

So I topped off the system. It took 1-1/2 gallons. Put on a fresh radiator cap and started her up. No active leaks that I could see, but after about 10 minutes at idle it shot from 160 to 220. Immediately shut her down.

Next step - impeller change. Hopefully that's it and it's still in one piece and I won't have to hunt downstream for pieces.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's heating that quickly and it suddenly happened the first time, it would seem like an impeller. They are not difficult to change 👍
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    If it's heating that quickly and it suddenly happened the first time, it would seem like an impeller. They are not difficult to change 👍
    Great choice of words.  Not "difficult", just painful, frustrating, time consuming, and unnecessarily terribly designed/located!
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably harder in the Mercury, I guess I didn't think about that. The Volvo was very easy to do as it is just attached to the harmonic balancer. Take off two hoses a couple of screws and pull it off. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    The Volvo impeller swap is bliss. 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd also be worried about a blockage... 
  • Options
    Installing new impeller tomorrow. Buddy said to also change oil in case it got cooked. Good advice?
  • Options
    With modern oil the fuse isn't lit until after 240*.... 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Since I couldn't squeeze down and do a Gumby, I had my mechanic change the impeller yesterday. It luckily was not fried or disinegrated...

It was very flexible, not stiff like a new one. Topped off anti-freeze on closed side and installed new radiator cap. Put in a total of 3 gallons since overheat. Still wondering if as @212rowboat said that loose radiator cap could also have been a contributing factor since it seemed loose when I went to check it after the first event.

Ran both engines to have something to compare to and here are my temps with times every 2 minutes from start and RPM:

Port     Stbd     Time     RPM
    77        77       Start      Idle
    117      113    +2:00     Idle
    135      129    +4:00     Idle
    156      149    +6:00     Idle
    167      160    +8:00     Idle
    163      167    +10:00   Idle
    160      160    +10:00   1500
    162      162    +12:00   2000
    160      160    +14:00   2250
    167      162    +16:00   Idle

Left it idling for about 15 more minutes before shutting down.

Last week, it shot up and overheated at about the 10 minute mark. Not today.

Do these numbers look within normal limits? Problem solved? Anything else preventive to look at?
  • Options
    I don’t have seacore but look pretty typical to me. A few degrees delta could be the sensors. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    edited August 2020
    The delta is most likely the thermostat... they aren't precision things, but they are close enough... youd think after all these years something better would be introduced,  but... well... theyre good enough.  Also don't forget that delta could simply be an air bubble somewhere in the system that hasn't burped. 

Re: loose cap
    Usually in an overheat the cap blows... its kinda made that way and the reason theyre not threaded... it could easily be the cap, or the cap could be a casualty.... either way, caps are consumables and once one has done its job, it's time to retire it.  

You could have sucked up sand that has since cleared, you could have had air in the system that was reluctant to burp, you could have had a bad cap... run it and find out... oil is good to 240 before it starts to break down... for every pound on the closed system you raise the boil point 3* (so add 35* to 212* at sea level with a 15# cap) so your engine is capable of handling 220 to 230 easily and without damage.  It won't go that hot instantly... when you alarm it will be at 182*, but you're still good... if it climbs to 190 bring the boat down, disengage gear, throttle up that engine (in neutral) and see if the temp goes down (max flow of sea pump at around 20-25gpm and no load on engine)...

if it DOES cool back down, you've got a flow problem... if it doesn't, you've got an obstruction problem.  The sea pump doesn't produce ample flow at idle for a hot engine, but touching 1200 or so RPM (above the 650 or so at idle) will near the bottom of the suitable flow range for a hot engine.

Obstruction other than obvious includes thermostat or rusted risers/elbows disallowing exit of water.... flow issue includes circulation pump on engine in addition to hoses kinked... 

Now youve been initiated.... you know what to look for.  
  • Options
    I definitely appreciate the initiation - and education! I think I now have at least a base knowledge level on the cooling system.

Thanks for all of the advice and explaining it at an elementary school level! I try to read and keep up on some of the other threads you guys comment in and they are at doctoral levels.  :)  
  • Options
    Does your water pump have the replaceable wear plates? If not, any scoring on the brass housing?