Options

outdrive trim?

boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
So installed a new carb a couple of weeks ago and went out for a quick cruise. Boat ran great but when I went to take off it almost felt like a spun prop hub. It seemed like it wanted to take off and bow was pointed high but it didn't seem to be picking up speed or trying to plane. Today went out and had 4 of us. 3 were in the back and went full throttle gradually and it wouldn't plane until 2 people came up front. After we got on plane I hit the button to lower the outdrive and but thought it was already pretty low. Apparently it wasn't and it planed and took off just fine. Tried it again later and it was fine. So question is if the outdrive is trimmed a little too high will it fell like it is slipping? Its a B3 with 21P's on a 2006 Crownline 250CR. Boat weighs about 7800lbs with nobody in it. Boat has planed fine before. I rarely touch my trim but apparently it must have got bumped up a little without me knowing it.

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, if the drive is trimmed up it can act like that when you throttle up. The Bravo III props don’t have a hub that can slip.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should learn to use the trim, it will help you with fuel economy and in rough water.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    Always trim the drive all the way down when getting on plane.  The boat will plane faster, use less fuel and put less stress on the engine.  After you get on plane, most boats can gain 1-2 mph just by adjusting the drive trim.  
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I tried playing around with it before but the river is usually so busy that it's hard to find smooth water. With all the waves it's hard to tell the difference in little adjustments. But yeah I probably should trim it down when I take off. I usually put it all the way down then a couple quick blips on the button gets it close so I leave it there.

But good to know that that may have been my issue. I was worried it might be an outdrive issue that might not be cheap.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭
    Should start out drive all the way down, get on plane then small taps to trim up and bow will rise slightly. RPM’s and speed will go up and I usually pull her back a little at a time for optimal cruise.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/