Options

Rinker 2008 350 Getting on plane

2»

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    YYZRC said: What's the best way to go about this?  Do I get one of those add-a-links?

Yes.  I've used a 5/16" link and a 3/8" link.  Both run through the windlass with no problem.  
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    mfritz said:
    ... The boat planes out but takes a while. ...    
    @mfritz here's a good procedure for getting on plane:

Trim tabs all the way down
    Outdrives trimmed all the way down
    Full throttle until boat gets to at least 22-25 mph
    Start backing off the throttle while bringing the trim tabs up

Then after you're on plane, tweak the throttles, outdrives and tabs to optimize your speed.

Is that what you're doing?  
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ++ on the Hill 4x4 props. Night and day difference on my 342. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    The Bravo 2 is the issue. Bravo 3 would be much better in getting the boat to plane
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    @earl1z19 his third post on this thread says:

Yes the bottom is clean and I have Bravo 3 out drives. The boat is 15,550 lbs plus gas (250 gallons), holding tank and fresh water tank. I only had the boat for around a month but been boating all my life.   
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    It's the last poster on page 1 that has the bravo 2 that early is referring to. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    Missed that. Thanks @Aqua_Aura.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    This just happened in another post. Easy to get lost when old post get revived. Not saying they shouldn't be revived.

No the real question is why a 2007 350 has bravo 2, was that an option?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    This just happened in another post. Easy to get lost when old post get revived. Not saying they shouldn't be revived.

That is the real question. I would have thought Bravo 3 would have been the only choice by 2007. Maybe the P.O. swapped them out when they needed replaced for some odd reason
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    Stop the madness lol! Hill marine 4x4 props! They are life changing and proven performers. No need to add even more weight to an under powered boat. Search the forum for Hill marine I have not heard of a bad review 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to ask if you verified that one of the engines isnt in Guardian mode. There are a few issuea that will do this without sounding an alarm.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    My 2008 400 came with Bravo 2 drives.  Not sure why it wouldn't be an option.  I love my B2s and with my hill marine props, I get better gas mileage, quicker on plane time, and much better dockage response than the B3s.  I know because I boat most summers with a twin 2007 400 that has B3s.  I'm not saying anything bad about B3s, but most people don't realize how great the B2s are as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need 4 blade big cow props. Hill marine
  • Options
    mfritzmfritz Member Posts: 41
    I ordered the 4 by 4 props with a 20 pitch yesterday from Hill Marine. Thanks for all the input.  
  • Options
    cme4braincme4brain Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    mfritz said:
    I ordered the 4 by 4 props with a 20 pitch yesterday from Hill Marine. Thanks for all the input.  
    As did I!  I ordered the 18.25 X 20 four bladed props,  Let's communicate via this forum as to how it helps our similar boats get up on plane.  Like a prior post, I have to have the trim all the way down, the engines trimmed all the way down, and push the throttles forward until I get on plane.  Then I can back off the engine drive trim and throttles.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    earl1z19 said:
    Aqua_Aura said:

That is the real question. I would have thought Bravo 3 would have been the only choice by 2007. Maybe the P.O. swapped them out when they needed replaced for some odd reason
    From a different website concerning B2 and B3 drives: 
    If I understand it correctly, A B-II drive is a single prop drive for twin applications. It's designed for to handle high-torque applications to move big boats, like a big cruiser or houseboat. It can swing up to a 20" prop (big!).

B-III drives are an upgrade from the original Alpha series. As mentioned, they have dual props on a single drive, and are intended for single or dual engine applications. They have better handling than a single prop drive, but can't handle the same torque as a B-II drive. Max prop size is 16".

I've never actually seen a regular pleasure boat use a B-II drive. The vast majority are Alpha drives, or B-III drives. A 260 Sundancer isn't going to have a B-II drive - it's not the right application.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had B2s on my diesels. Dream has them on his 400 
  • Options
    JimGuy341 said:
    Hill Marine 4x4 props.  20p.   

I had the same set up as you.  Twin 350 mpi w/ B3 3x3 props.  Switched to Hill this season.  Money well spent.
    I bit the bullet and got the hills Marine 4 x 4 20 pitch $1400 propellers for my 2007 Rinker 350. It has made a world of difference on how fast I get up on plane. At wide open throttle as best as I can tell I’ve only lost perhaps 1 mile an hour of top end speed. Prior propellers were three bladed aluminum 21 pitch. Merely changing material from aluminum to steal made it to huge difference anyway. 
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Michael T said:
    The boat is grossly underpowered with 350 magnums even if they are in excellent shape and all else well. It is even significantly underpowered with 377 Magnums. I have posted on this exact topic before and said, at the time the following: I had friends with both boats. The 377s were just slightly better. The 350 magnums were miserable. That boat should never have left the factory with either engine. Minimum 496s better yet 502 magnums for a 350/360/370. There was nothing either one of them could do ( they tried weight shifting, partial gas fills - it was just like shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic - a waste of time. It was painful to watch and more painful to be on the boat and hear - particularly those 350 magnums scream - trying to wrestle that boat onto plane then rev high to go anywhere, all the while sucking huge amounts of gas. I am sorry to be so brutal but do what both of my friends did (eventually) and sell the boat. It is a lake queen NOT an express cruiser - there is no express in that configuration and never will be. Only someone who respects you as a fellow boater will tell you this. I am truly sorry and wish you had checked threads on here regarding this topic posted, before buying.
    I’ll add another comment to this post as I now I’ve upgraded my propellers to four bladed stainless steel from three blade aluminum. My performance is enhanced and I still have 36 mph top in speed. I boat in mostly in protected waters (Eastern Virginia Chesapeake Bay) and hardly spend any time at wide-open throttle, therefore gas mileage and performance at a slow planning speed is what I need. I get at least 1.2 miles per gallon at 30mph at 4100rpm in my Rinker 350 with Mag 350’s which I think is fantastic for the weight I’m pushing around. But would I like an extra 100-200 hp? Perhaps, but then my gas mileage would go down. I’m perfectly satisfied with my boat.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    That's great to hear!  I love my 4 bbn ldaed stainless props!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express