Options

AC stops when it feels like it?

MarcdohcMarcdohc Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
My 2005 300 FV has an AC problem. It was working fine till last night. I set it at 68* and when it got down to about 74* it stoped working although the lights on the thermostat were still on and it seamed like the unit was humming a bit. That made me a little nervous so I pressed the off button. After a 1/2 hour or so I turned it back on and walah! It worked, but only for 10 minutes and then it started blowing heat! We regretably slept with the hatches open and were reminded of our addiction to comfort. So what do you think? A sensor? A thermostat? Any advise is welcome. Thanks, Marcdohc

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Maybe the unit was frozen. How hot was the cabin when you turned the unit on. I found that you have to slowly cool the cabin. If I set my t-stat to 65* and the cabin is real hot the unit will freeze. If I set it to 75* it will reach set point then I can lower it to a cooler temp with no problem.... Good luck and keep us posted on what you find....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raybo makes a good point: iced up.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks guys, would that explain the heat comming on?
  • Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    yes. there a setting to prevent the ice issue. check you manual
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    The heat could be coming on for the deicing function.  Raybo, you should set your deicing function.  Then you can set it to 65 even when you start out at 90 degrees.  This will run it every hour for 1,2, or 5 minutes in the heat/deicing cycle.  I had this problem on my 310 and that solved it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    PartsManPartsMan Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Marc,
       Check the filter on your a/c unit.  Mine was filled with lint, and it caused it to ice up and not blow cold.  They are usually velco'd on.  Wash with a hose or in a utility sink and squeeze out the water a few time.  Worked like a charm.  No problems since.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Like gslpro stated check your filter sperratic ac performance is usually caused by lack of airflow always start with the ilter
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    Thanks, I let you know how it works out.