Options

Protecting aluminium trailer while removing bottom coat

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok rinker guys and gals I have a very nice 2 yr old aluminum trailer I don't want to ruin and a 10,000 lbss boat i need to get 20 years of soft bottom paint off of.   I want bare clean gel coat for MO POWA!!!

I have some roll on no scrape bottom removing chemicals i want to try. I cannot get it on the trailer.  

Im saturating the trailer with water then doubling up tarps between trailer and hull, doing small areas at a time then immediately washing her off with soap and water.   If i get any on the trailer it would be dillited

Too big of a boat for me to block up easily.

What would the rinker forum do?

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any transport companies near you with a hydraulic trailer to block it for you? Would make life much easier. Tough to work on a bottom around a trailer.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    My bunks are adjustable.  I can block part of the boat at a time to move 4 total bunks one at a time. My house aka railroad jack is 10k capacity.  

I don't have much of an issue working below the trailer with a creeper on my asphalt drive way.  I trust being under it on a trailer more than blocks.

If I was in proper poured concrete or placked clay I wouldn't have that fear.  I just don't trust asphalt for blocking of any sort.

I just dont want to damage the trailer.  I have thought about doing a plastic dip over the trailer while I do the bottom removal

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your original plan sound good. Keep it simple. Just watch for damage to the tarps as you go. Tarps are cheap.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Blue tarps are cheap! 
  • Options
    Im considering buying a media blaster then trying soda or walnut shells.   Blocking would be very time consuming on this boat and I would have to do it at my parents place.  Id rather do it at the house so I can work on it a little at a time.