Options

Mercury XR6 outboard help

69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
I’m fishing with my son and we are several miles from the ramp. Once I got on plane and sped up I got a contstant alarm, so I shut it down. I checked the oil reservoir on the top of the motor and it was completely full. Googling looks like it could be an overheat. 

I had 15 psi of water pressure going across the lake. I started it and the tone was gone. I can drive for a minute or so and the tone goes off again (steady tone), which really seems like an overheat. Can you have good water psi and not have enough volume to cool the engine?
Post edited by 69fastback on

Comments

• Options
    The trusty backup
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not without a blockage, as 15psi is good enough... it's, of course, more about volume than pressure but pressure is only way to measure it without some bulky stuff back there... 

have you sucked up some sand or other debris lately?
    the oil may be full but the sensor may be faulting or gummed up. 
    temperature is one thing to cause steady alarm, as is oil pressure and an engine knock.. i don't think you have an engine knock sensor on that engine.  

the easiest thing to do is get a scanner on it.  i know that's not what you want to hear, but... it may be required.  
  • Options
    I don’t think we will be scanning a carbureted 2 stroke. Going to have to figure it out, but it seems to be a overheating issue as I could let it cool down and go again. After a few minutes, I get the alarm again.  Not real chance that it has sucked anything up. I’m going to change the impeller and see what happens. 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think we will be scanning a carbureted 2 stroke. Going to have to figure it out, but it seems to be a overheating issue as I could let it cool down and go again. After a few minutes, I get the alarm again.  Not real chance that it has sucked anything up. I’m going to change the impeller and see what happens. 
    heheheheheee- yup, you'd be right... or, you could scan it but don't expect much response! heheheheeee

i was thinking it was newer..