Options

Steering and fuel pump questions.

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
Ok, so I have two hopefully minor issues on my 2006 270 with a Volvo 5.7 MPI. . First, my steering makes a noise at some slower speeds when I turn to starboard. The power steering works fine. It’s almost like a vibration. Does anyone know where the power steering reservoir is and if the cable is able to be greased somehow? Anyone had a similar issue?  Second, my fuel pump makes a high whining sound at idle and some RPMs. Runs perfect at every speed. And I did try changing the fuel water separator. Any insight would be appreciated. Than you! 
Post edited by luvinlife on

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuel pump whining is probably a bad pump or in my case I had the low side power disconnected accidentally. Mancavemechanic.com if you need the pump replaced. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua thanks. I’ll check the connections.  The pump so far operates as it should. But it may be going! 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never did figure out how mine came disconnected 🤷🏽‍♂️. If it was disconnected it would not run well but the whining definitely sounds like a pump on its last leg or starving for fuel but if you've replaced the filters and it's running well then the pump is probably just tired.  
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Hopefully it can hold off till winter. 
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    As Aqua_Aura says, for all fuel pump issues with Volvo-Penta engines Troy at ManCaveMechanic.com has all the answers and his rebuilt parts are excellent and affordable. I purchased a high pressure pump from him and installed it myself successfully with the help of Troy's videos. The notorious whine is typically caused by paint coming off that Volvo-Penta in their wisdom used INSIDE the fuel system.
    I'm not sure about the cause of your steering vibration issue, however I have to mention that I just had my steering cable replaced and the difference is unbelievable. I think the steering has always been a bit balky since I bought the boat 10 years ago, but lately it started to stiffen up considerably. Now I can literally turn the wheel with my pinky even with the engine off. I recommend a cable replacement as a precautionary measure if you're having other steering issues on a 14-year-old boat like yours and mine. The power steering pump reservoir on my 5.0 is on the port side of the engine at the front, tucked under the alternator.
    Andy
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez @luvinlife.....you had me going. I thought this forum had entered a whole new era with the thread "Couple questions".....Ann Landers would have been proud!
  • Options
    Lol.  Thanks for the answers. Things to try. 
  • Options
    So here’s the update. I had the yard mechanic replace the fuel pump ($$). First start it was surging and whining.  They came back and bled the air out through the shrader valve.  My brother was at the marina and started it up for me. It seems to be running smoothly although I haven’t tried it at speed....BUT there is still a noticeable whine.  I’ll sea trial it tomorrow. The mechanic said if it gets to full RPMs it’s good to go, some pumps make more noise than others. And it may work itself out if there is still a bit of trapped air.  I’ll run a tank of gas through it and see what happens. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Like good children, healthy pumps don't whine.  Don't buy that line that some pumps make noise.  
  • Options
    La Rea I’m with you on this one.  If it runs well I’ll burn through the gas from last season and see what happens.  If it’s still noisy time for a new mechanic!