Options

Bought my first boat- 2000 Rinker Vee 242 - Slow Plane

Hi everyone I found this site after doing some online searches for my boat, and I'm glad I did. Lots of good info on here!
Anyways this is my very first boat, it's a 2000 Rinker Vee 242 with a 5.0L carb. It's a very nice clean boat and I'm lovin it so far! My only issue has been the time it takes to plane. After my first few trips out I wasn't very impressed as I could not get it to plane. I had the power tabs all the way down, and engine trim down as well, still wouldn't plane. The motor seemed to be running rough (vibrating, no rpm) so I had a mechanic stop by and he changed plugs, added some sea foam, changed fuel filters and it seems to run better now. We took it for a test and it planed out no problem with just us 2. The next day I had some friends come out (7 people total) and it would not plane unless I had people move to the front. So I'm just wondering if there are any ways to help the time it takes to plane? I have read a lot and it seems to me I have to focus on getting weight forward and maybe take a look into the prop I have. The boat came with 2 but I'm not sure which one is on it as I have the boat at a slip. There is a swim platform hanging off the back which I'm sure isn't helping much. It has trim tabs already and I was looking into the fin that bolts to the outdrive. Any other tips or tricks for a quick plane?  Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Sounds like the tune up helped. 7 people  is a lot of weight to get on plane with that boat and engine regardless of what mods you attempt. I'm not a fan of the bolt on fins but maybe somebody that has tried them can comment. 
    Oh.. and welcome to the forum!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Welcome to the forum!  7 people is quite a bit for that size boat & wouldn't surprise me if you had to move people forward.  Only other thing I could think of may be the bottom.  Is the bottom clean?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Sprint07Sprint07 Member Posts: 10
    Dream_Inn said:
    Welcome to the forum!  7 people is quite a bit for that size boat & wouldn't surprise me if you had to move people forward.  Only other thing I could think of may be the bottom.  Is the bottom clean?
    Yes it's only been in the water for 4 days and it was polished clean before I put it in.
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    That motor, for that size boat is marginal with a full load.  Propping will help you a little, but you need to make sure you don't over rev the rpm's.  Do a little research on your specific engine, what the max rpm ranges are, then keep an eye on what you are currently getting out of it.  
    Unfortunately, a bigger engine is going to be the only way to truly get the power  you need.  Boat companies routinely sell boats that are pretty underpowered for their size. 
    2000 Captiva 232