Options

Replacing Lenco trim tab switches with plain old rocker switches?

andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in Electrical Discussions
I have the trim switches with LEDs and the rubber cover and the separate control box. The connector on the back is the tiny ten-pin Molex type which attaches directly to the circuit board. Horribly flawed design in my opinion. One of these switches works intermittently. Has anyone swapped this type for the simple rocker-style switches? I actually don't care if I lose the auto retract feature or even the LED lights if I can get reliability.
Andy

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new generation has the electronics built into the switch. No separate box. About $200
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see a reason why you couldn't use simple rocker switches.  The Lenco is just a smart switch
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    I would not want to lose the information provided by the position LEDs.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    x2 on what @LaRea said.  Plus the new ones automatically put the tabs back up when you restart the engine if you left them down.  This was a selling point for me when mine was getting flaky.  I wouldn't use a rocker switch for this.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    AndyD - as per above I wouldn't change them out. See if you can replace switch with new.

My last 2 Rinkers had the Lenco LED switches & auto retract. Our current Four Winns does not. Just rocker switches. Hate them to be honest.

Really miss the auto-retract & the LED's for a quick glance. Part of my shut down procedure is to be sure tabs are retracted before the Rack & Launch guys fork the boat out. Don't know how many times I have gone back & rechecked those things....huge PIA.

If/when a trim tab does get ripped off - I'll def go back to Lenco.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the new integrated switch assembly doesn’t use the control box. I had rockers on my 242, couldn’t wait to get a boat with LED indicators!! 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    My issue was that water got into the control box and it shorted. The small connector on the switch was not an issue for me. The new style looks much more robust but time will tell. 

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    I really like the LED indicators.  Problem is I can’t see them on a sunny day.  Wish they were brighter. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would need a momentary on 2 way rocker
  • Options
    Is there a way to calibrate the LEDs? Mine show fully down on the LEDs but they’re not...
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    That’s for Bennett tabs - the Lenco are electric and don’t have a hydraulic pump. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I just ordered the Lenco 15169-001 standard integrated tactile switches, illustrated in the post by YYZRC above. I also ordered the wiring for both tabs with Deutsch connectors. I believe I can do without the LEDs and auto retract because of these factors:
    1) My boat is never trailered so leaving the tabs down isn't a problem.
    2) I can't see the LEDs that well in bright sunlight.
    3) When trimming out the boat level, I'm looking at the bow while pushing the switch, not the helm.
    4) Same with going up on plane and retracting, fingers on switches, eyes on the bow.
    I may find out something I'm not aware of, I realize that.
    I'm looking forward to tidying up this rat's nest. Corrosion has eaten away two connectors for the port tab completely.
    BTW, Lisa at Lenco is very helpful, she sent me a set of wiring diagrams.
    Andy

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I had the same rats nest - very disappointing wiring in these boats. Seems like minimal extra effort when assembling would have resulted in fewer problems down the road but what do I know?!

What was the price difference between the basic switches and the auto tabs with LED indicators?
  • Options
    On Amazon:
    Lenco 15170-01 LED integrated tactile switch is $300
    Lenco 15169-01 integrated tactile switch is $136.
    Lenco 10222-211D rocker switches w/out control box is $80.
    So I have the same tactile-type momentary switches, new integrated control box, just no LED position indicator and auto retract, saved $164. That comes in handy going towards paying for my new steering cable.
    By the way, the four Phillips head screws holding my current control box together literally rusted away to dust. Salt air is just a killer of metals.
    Andy

• Options
    Update/correction. I've installed the new Lenco 15169-01 integrated tactile switch. I did not think it had auto retract, but I hooked up the orange wire and it indeed does.
    Next I am replacing the starboard actuator, which has been flaky. Boat yard quoted $280 for the part, found it on Amazon for $180. I'm working in swim trunks, snorkel and mask just below the water line because I don't want to haul the boat. What fun.
    Andy
  • Options
    Sounds like a good boat challenge!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Just wondering why would you need auto retract when your tabs should be all the way up when docking?..... just say'n 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray some of us old dudes forget to retract the tabs so it is nice when you trun the key off they come up. Like the sticker in my car that says put me in park.lol
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    As I originally stated, personally, auto retract isn't that important to me, but I still have it which is fine. I could put a switch on the orange wire and have the either-or option. Usually retracting the tabs is part of my mental check list entering harbor, along with deploying the fenders.
    One thing I'm changing is the routing of the wire through the upper actuator bracket, which is underwater, and instead rerouting the cable ingress 2" above the water. I'm using a Blue Sea Systems Cable Clam to make this water tight. This is my only alternative without hauling the boat. Shipyard haul out rates are getting ridiculous, $360 for the lift, plus $140/day to work on your own boat in the DIY area they offer? Err, no thanks.
    Andy.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    IMO its a must to raise the tabs while docking. Boat does not handle well at all with them down while backing up............. Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options