Options

Cabin door handle?

Hey guys, do any of you have a hard time opening the cabin door? Ever since we purchased this FV 290 the cabin door has been pretty hard to open and close, takes a bit of effort, not bad for me and I honestly don't think it is so bad, but the admiral complaints about it all the time lol

I am thinking about installing handles on both sides (inside and outside the cabin). Any ideas? I was looking at this, but not sure how it will look:

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/stainless-steel-grab-handle-6-80

I believe this would make it easier to open/close. Thoughts?

Thank you!

Bert

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can’t install a handle like that on the 330 or the door wouldn’t open all the way. Is yours different?

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you checked the track to make sure it's cleaned and maybe lubricate some areas? I know we've had this discussion on here somewhere before about sticky doors. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Do you have a screen door?  On mine, a grab handle on the inside would hit the screen door.  

They do get hard to slide.  Try spraying the slides with silicone spray or WD-40.  It will help a lot, although you have to reapply every month or two.  
  • Options
    I spent 20 minutes with the hose and degreaser cleaning the track. Once finished I used silicone spray to lubricate the trucks. My door works too well now!
  • Options
    bert_floridabert_florida Member Posts: 69
    @YYZRC good point, didn't think of that lol. I am sure it will sacrifice opening a bit, but if it makes the wife happy, I am happy.

Good points all of you, the track is not so nice, I guess the previous owners used "grease", which is the dumbest thing to do, just not easy to clean to be honest because unless I take half the helm apart I can't get to most of the track, I will try cleaning it more and then using some good old WD40 to see if that helps.

LaRea I don't have a screen door, so that wouldn't be an issue, but you guys are all right, I am going to try to use some WD40 or something else, just cleaning the tracks is a PITA!

• Options
    The hose worked wonders for me. No manual scrubbing. 

The handle would work until you need to replace the fridge - then the handle would have to come off to get it through the door!!
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    The hose worked wonders for me. No manual scrubbing. 

The handle would work until you need to replace the fridge - then the handle would have to come off to get it through the door!!
    Good point about the fridge!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silicone top and bottom tracks
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I use silicone spray for practically everything now. Once the carrier dries it stays in place and doesn't collect dirt and dust.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Our tracks are a disaster, I am sure the previous owner used grease so we just keep cleaning and cleaning and cleaning crap out of them and it is not easy to open or close. Unfortunately you can't reach the "inside" of the tracks unless you take half the boat apart.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Our tracks are a disaster, I am sure the previous owner used grease so we just keep cleaning and cleaning and cleaning crap out of them and it is not easy to open or close. Unfortunately you can't reach the "inside" of the tracks unless you take half the boat apart.
    Trust me. You don’t need to disassemble anything. Mine were gross too! Copious degreaser and then high pressure garden hose. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't  drill that door if you crack it. It's the most expensive thing on the boat. Just keep cleaning it, maybe a brush and some degreaser. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Thank you guys. Good tips. Didn’t think about potentially cracking the door, seems like the material might crack after looking at it closer. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And trust me, youvdobt want to break that door. They're rarer than hens teeth.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)