Options

Vessel view mobile gph suddenly way off

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
Installed VVM last year and love it.  I particularly track gallons per hour (gph) to get an idea of efficiency.  Typically on plane with twins I am burning around 24-25 gph.  At startup maybe 4, and as it warms up 2.  

Today I started up at dock and noticed 5 gph per engine.  That got my attention.  Engines sounded normal.  When up on plane, it jumped to around 50 per engine, or about 100 gph.  When I arrived at my destination, I checked my gallons left in fuel tank according to VVM and it was consistent with about 1 mpg, not the 100 gph rate.  I had burned about 5 gallons in 5 miles.  

So, engines seem fine, VVM showing  real-time gph about 4 times too high.  Could it have switched to liters?  The “volume units” says it’s on “gallons”, not “liters” or “imperials gallons”.  

Any ideas what happened here?

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    They updated the app last week and one new feature was apparently separate units of measurement. No fired up yet to see anything but I would check if you got the update and settings. Maybe need to toggle even if it says gallons.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Interesting.  Ran boat Tuesday - Thursday and gph read fine.  Fired her up Saturday and read high.  

I use iPad for screen, but I happened to download program on wife’s iPhone last summer but never used it.  Just opened VVM on her phone now and it automatically downloaded “something”. Likely the update?  Compared version to what’s on the iPad and they match- 1.11.0.1i.

Going home this morning.  Will try firing up and toggle and see if it self corrects.

• Options
    For GPH you’ll need to be connected to engines as that comes from ECU, I don’t think historical data is stored in app/cloud. I know “home” for you is a distance from boat.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spyderweb said:
    Typically on plane with twins I am burning around 24-25 gph.
    What do you cruise at (RPM/speed)? I’m around 30gph but I run at 4300-4400 rpm.  
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Still at boat although leaving for home this morning.

Just started up engines and still reading high and labeled as GPH.  Went into settings and changed to liters per hour.  Still read the same number (3.5) but labeled as “liters per hour.  Changed setting to imperial gallons.  Still read same number (3.5) but labeled as “imperial gallons”.  Changed setting to gallons per hour.  Still read same number (3.5) but labled as “gallons per hour.  It’s as if the settings change, but the number doesn’t to match the label.  However, each time I change the measurement, the gallons of gas left in tank number does change to the appropriate number (gallon, imperial gallons, liters).

No time now, but I suspect next step (barring hearing something else) is to try a “reset”.  Perhaps should contact the VVM people from home and see what they say.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    @YYZRC , what speed are you at at that RPM range? I’m 3800-4000 RPM’s @ 28-30 MPH.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    3900rpm is 27mph for me. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m analog gauges so I don’t have an exact number.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    Spyderweb said:
    Typically on plane with twins I am burning around 24-25 gph.
    What do you cruise at (RPM/speed)? I’m around 30gph but I run at 4300-4400 rpm.  
    I try and keep it below 4000.  I’m generally 3800-4000.  Speed usually 27-30.  Fuel mileage at steady cruise around 1.12-1.16 mpg.
  • Options
    I don’t see an appreciable difference in fuel economy between 3900 and 4500. 
  • Options
    I don’t know if my 1.12-1.16 would be considered appreciable.  Though I’m rarely above 4000, I don’t recall any significant falloff when it sneaks up there, just quickly calculating in my head as we’re moving along.
  • Options
    Contacted Mercury yesterday regarding bad readings of gph on VVM.  Got response today.  “There is an update being urgently worked on to correct this.  Stay tuned”.
  • Options
    Update pushed today, just went to boat and fired up and GPH looks as it should.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    That is great news.  Hope to be up to boat next Monday.  Will check it out then.
  • Options
    Took her out today and numbers were as per prior logs. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    @icoultha were you getting bad numbers before this most recent update?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    No, I had not been able to fire up after they sent the earlier update and then when this recent one came then I was able to run the engines and all looks well.

I have version 1.11.1.0i installed on iPad, prior version from last week was 1.11.0

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Just checked and I also now have 1.11.1.0i.  Don’t know how or when it changed, but I’m apparently updated from what I was last time on boat.  Expect I should be alright when I fire up Monday.
  • Options
    Out on boat yesterday and VVM is displaying GPH correctly now.  So, error caused by Mercury fixed by Mercury.  Good news!
  • Options
    Excellent.

In my years of being involved in software development reviews and the outcome I am still amazed how some of the most minor functional tests and regression validation gets overlooked an things like this get out there.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”