Who's good at reading spark plugs?

2»

Comments

• tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Ahh ... hopefully these are better.

LaRea
               Did you ever follow up on the S8 plug? Just wondering, if I was guessing I would check the injector on that cylinder or a plug wire, doesn't look like it's firing. I pulled my plugs on my Starboard engine and will post pics. I had one light colored like that. My plan is to pull the injector rail and send out injectors for flow testing cleaning and flow testing. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tricountytrail From memory, I think S8 was the one that had a damaged plug wire (chafed from rubbing against something).  
  • tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    LaRea said:
    @tricountytrail From memory, I think S8 was the one that had a damaged plug wire (chafed from rubbing against something).  
    That would explain it. How much better did it run after changing wire was it quite noticable.

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Night and day. I had one wire cut through, and another that was questionable.  I was probably running on 14 of 16 cylinders. All from chafing and my lack of proper inspection. 
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My motor wouldn’t go over 4400 RPM when I had a bad plug. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    You don’t want those wires arcing in the bilge 
    I had a jet ski ...
    .one night I took the cover off with the motor running you could see one of the wires arcing to the motor was a little scared when you think of what could happen with spark and fumes 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's your question on the plugs?
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ian said:
    Never freeze in Florida 
    Of course it does, thats why they spray the fruit trees with water so it freezes and protects the fruit to sub freezing temps. Maybe not last year but I think the year before.

Florida ain’t the paradise Floridians want it to be... :smile:
    No it's not- you all stay right where you are...
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That chafing on that wire almost looks like it was or ready to start arching which could have been a problem! I just did cap, rotor, wires and plugs, showing 320 hours- which begs the question will vessel view show actual hours on a motor vs the dash? Mine also had a marked difference, I changed them when I bought the boat at 100 hours but did not change the wires then. All my plugs were pretty consistent,  probably like your p2. Not lean which would be chalky grey...none were wet so I was happy with that.
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    @rasbury yes, VVM shows actual engine hours.  In my case, it was pretty close to dash.