Bad Fuel Tank Replacement

Gin_TimeGin_Time Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
Since 2010 I have been dealing with the fact that my '03 270's fuel tank rotted out from water getting trapped between the bottom of the tank and the hull. plus inconsistencies in the hull mold with sharp edges rubbing through the tank. Unfortunately I received no help from Rinker so I had to do the removal and replacement in steps over the past three years but I am finally completing the replacement and have the new tank in place installed and all hooked up.

Here's my question. Why are there cut outs in the bulkhead to allow water to drain from the bilge into the cabin and trap under the fuel tank? I am considering fiberglassing over these cut outs to water tight the fuel tank compartment to eliminate any chance of this ever happening again.

Thanks!

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Hey Gin, nice to see you made it over here from RBO & got things finished with your tank!  Is this the bulkhead between the ER and the cabin?  If so i would think that would be sealed and is a separate bilge pump area (under mid-cabin cushions).  If it is forward of the bilge, then you really shouldn't be getting any water from a bilge behind it anyhow.  (unless there is a lot of water in there sloshing around)  A picture here may be worth while. ;)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Is that NoGin from the old RBO? Welcome to the site...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Gin_TimeGin_Time Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    LOL, yeah Ray it's me!! Been soooo frustrated with this tank but finally saved enough money to complete the job. I actually have the detailers onboard today and tomorrow giving her the full "spa" treatment. Just looking to finalize the fuel tank install then hopefully get her wet next Monday.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Great! Good luck bro...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • hunterdalehunterdale Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    On my 2000 270 there is a bulkhead under the steps into the cabin. Once the steps are removed there is access to the shower sump and the forward bilge pump.  There is NO drain through this bulkhead to the rear of the vessel.  Guessing from the boat's layout the tank is just on the other side of this bulkhead.  No water or air for that matter can flow from one compartment to the next in this section of the boat.  Good to see you here Gin.  Glad you're close to getting her wet again!! 
    Ray - Thanks!!! I would like a little luck with the Rink for once. LOL

Hunter - You are correct in the first part that there is no way for water or air to get to the fuel tank compartment from the sump pump section. Water flows from the bow to the stern to the sump pump section and traps there. The area I am speaking about is actually the bulk head separating the engine bay, bilge, to the fuel tank compartment. There are 3 big cut outs which allow water to flow from the engine area to the fuel tank compartment.
  • TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Hi Gin,  Welcome home!

Just a thought about the openings.  Since your new tank is properly mounted on a spacer system from the deck, water that might find it's way there should not affect the tank and might like to have a way to drain back into the ER.

Any logic to this thought?

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

Hey Tony, thanks for the welcome! Yes I do agree with that. For Sh*!* and Giggles  I went out and put water in the bilge and allowed it to drain into the fuel tank compartment. Problem is that it would all depend on the amount of water in the bilge and tank compartment. If for example, she is laid up for the winter with the bow lower than the stern and she fills up with water, the fuel tank compartment will fill up with water that will rest along the bottom and up the fuel tank. I am trying to dumy proof this so when I sell the boat and move up to my next larger boat the next owner will not have a thought about this horror I have been dealing with.  I am considering keeping the openings and installing a bilge pump in the fuel tank compartment to alleviate this problem. Just something about fuel and spark that scares me. lol. Although the connections to the new fuel tank are in the same spot the OEMs were which is in the bilge, not tank compartment. I don't see how enough water could sit and get trapped in the tank compartment while she is in the water since she is pretty stern heavy. Although that is exactly what happened which lead to all this.....  

I guess I have too much time on my hands.  One more idea.  If you glassed in a small pipe with a valve, you could drain any residual water into the ER whenever needed.  With the valve closed, the water would not go the other way.

Tony

But really, what is the function of allowing water to flow into the fuel tank compartment? To help displace water in the even of a failed bilge pump? That would only give a 66" long area for the water minus the area the fuel tank takes up. Really wouldn't make a difference. I don't see any other reason for those cut outs....

I meant it would be set up to drain water out of the fuel tank area.  Then you could glass it in and have a way to drain any water out that found its way in there.  Just my over engineering tendency showing itself.

Tony

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it for fuel to move back to the lowest point (bilge) in case of cell rupture?

This is getting way too complicated.  lol  The idea is to separate the fuel cell area from the ER at the lower part of the separating buikhead.  This would prevent ER bilge water from sloshing into the fuel cell area.  But suppose some water got in there anyway.  There should be a way to drain it out into the ER.  So a short pipe installed at the lowest point that is glassed over, equipped with a valve, would allow any errant water in the fuel cell area to drain iinto the ER area simply by opening the valve.  The ER is normally the lowest point of the boat so by opening the valve, any water in the fuel cell part of the boat should drain into the ER by gravity.

We are hoping that the new fuel cell is years/decades away from a rupture but should that happen, this would keep any spilled fuel out of the ER until the hazmat crew arrives.

whew!

Tony

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Water in the bilge or between stringers can come from condensation or weird drips/leaks and if it's trapped in an an undrainable void can cause ghastly nastiness and generally rotten issues. The best idea I've heard is from Tony, a removable drain plug.

Personally the tank in our '04 270 has been replaced too but I wouldn't plug that drain if your leak is behind you. Just keep it dry and move on to the next item that'll need attention, after all it's a boat. ;)

If it's still leaking(which sounds over), very few people get away with it more than a brief time (mins/days would be an eternity with raw fuel anywhere in the bilge). An observant yard hand luckily noticed dripping fuel coming from our boats drain plug as it sat unused in the off season in an outside rack a year before we bought her. It would've been terrible to have it accumualate in a sealed void waiting for a catastrophe or flow into the bilge as the crew loads the boat waiting there for the spark of a starter.

An observant mariner will survive many close calls from weather/navigation/mechanical issues, many of which they'll never know how close they really were. Stay safe and be alert so you can build awesome memories and share those pics here. Have fun with that new-again 270.
     B-) Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
    I like the idea of glassing in a pipe with a plug as an option to drain the tank area to ER. Most likely I will just launch it as it is and do the work prior to launch next season. Great idea thanks fellas!!!!!
  • boating1010boating1010 Member Posts: 2
    doing lots of research on people having to change the fuel tanks on Rinker boats. I was surprised to see how many people have had to do this, the internet is full of posts from people who've replaced tanks on Rinker boats. Just did mine, 2003 FV270, what a nightmare! If you've had to replace a tank on your rinker please drop me an email at boating1010@gmail.com. I'm just trying to figure out how many people are in the same boat. :-) 
  • Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

Just curious.. what does it cost to have something like done?  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• BritinusaBritinusa Member Posts: 306 ✭✭
    Would a one way fuel safe valve work?
  • barrybarry Member Posts: 5
    anyone know where I can find a new fuel tank for a 2000 fiesta vee 242
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The manufacture of the tanks is in Florida. Someone on here will respond
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OEM manufacturer should be Florida Marine Tanks. http://www.floridamarinetanks.com/

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • barrybarry Member Posts: 5
    thanks I will give them a call
  • esmm9aolcomesmm9aolcom Member Posts: 1
    How do I find the Fuel Tank Capacity for a 1989 Rinker Captiva 206
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    should be a label on the tank. remove round access plates in the floor and you will see it. if it cannot be seen from eng. compartment.
    Boat Name : 

• Gr8earsGr8ears Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    I have a  '88 FV 250.  Last year is started acting up.  cruising along @3500 RPM, when fuel gets to 1/2 tank, engine starves and quits.  From then on, it's idle only until I fill it.  Changed fuel filters, no joy.  Cut open a used filter, perfectly clean.  Boat tech told me the fuel pickup is getting blocked by contaminants in the fuel tank.  
    Called a fuel tank cleaning service, they won't touch anything under 300 gallons, and charges minimum $1800.
    Any suggestions other than a match?

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had same problem on a houseboat once, and I know it's not the same configuration, But drained the tank, with a 12 volt pump from auto parts, and plenty of 1/4 rubber gas line hose,  you can put the gas in your truck. was able to get all the fuel line's apart, cleaned / replaced - all good.   
    Boat Name :