Options

Re-fasten steps

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've noticed lately that the older closed style steps on my 2000 FV270 have been moving and rockng a bit when stepped on and the bottom riser is separating. If I give it a shove with my foot I can push it back almost an inch. Ideas? Just drive a couple of trim head screws into the plywood? I'd love to convert to the open style steps like @diggin2day1 makes but I don't think it's possible without structural work.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would pull the tops off and have hardwood treads made. I would replace the risers with white starboard. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    I would pull the tops off and have hardwood treads made. I would replace the risers with white starboard. 
    And if I had your wallet I would. 😆
    No, that's a good idea. But a winter project. I just want to get them tightened up for the rest of the season.
  • Options
    You can buy hardwood stair treads at Home Depot for $40 or so. I would think you could cut one down with a jig saw and stain to your preference. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I sell those where I work. In in construction sales. I think the wedge on the bottom step is wider than a standard tread but I'll have to measure. My neighbour has a joiner so might be able to trim one and flip the piece around and join them to get the wider tread.
  • Options
    I ripped the rounded edge off two of them with a table saw and clamped/glued them together. A bit of sanding and presto. I don’t think you’d need to get fancy with a joiner, especially if it’s the back edge. 
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Could you strip the carpet off of the tread side and then sand, stain, apply traction strips / grit, and fasten back to the casing?  That was kinda my plan...
  • Options
    They're probably just plywood.
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound I’ve had a few requests from people with the box-type steps that you have... you would have to first get one of the stainless stanchions to fit into your boat in order for my steps to be mounted onto it... and that’s about as far as I’ve gotten with that conversation. Lol. I am sure if you poke around through the carpet you will find the screws holding the top of your step on(I’m sure it’s just carpeted plywood). From there you could get some good measurements and create a template to make a nice cherry top tread to match the rest of the interior. The only issue that you’d have would be how to mount it... you don’t just want to send screws through the top of the step! Maybe a strong stainless piano hinge on the back of the step and use the space underneath for some extra storage? If you provide me with an accurate template I can design/build you a nice solid cherry step with the rubber treads to follow the contours . 
  • Options
    Thanks @diggin2day1. A different set up for sure. I'll keep the cherry top in mind. I had also thought about storage under there. Will look at it some more.