Options

CANADA KEEPING AN EYE ON SNEAKY U.S BOATERS

bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
@Michael T    say it isn't so !
I know you still like us 😘

Americans, Go Home: Canadians Track U.S. Boaters Sneaking Across The Border : NPR

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have been so annoyed with people who have gone on vacation down here during this pandemic. 

Our numbers haven't been too bad the whole time, but get this, now that it's the "off season" we finally had a weekend with NO new cases. Hmmm so all the idiot vacationers leave and stay home and suddenly no one tests positive in the keys. Wish they would have just stayed home to begin with!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Can't blame Canadian citizens for reporting law-breakers.  Good for them.  
  • Options
    RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    @bry1429 I was up on the St. Lawrence River this past weekend.
    The border is being watched quite heavily.
    While headed home there was Canadian law running on their side of the line; us on our side all the while being less than 150' apart.
    The river gets narrow in some areas making this a common occurrence.
    I have heard quite a few stories of people being boarded and having to pay on the spot or lose their boats to being impounded.
    Seems to be getting worse instead of better!

Busy season will be over in couple of weeks. 
    Just hope this gets straightened out before 2021 season! We would love to get back to the Canadian islands and other favorite ports like Brockville!
    They have to be feeling the pinch without the US $ this year!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those of us close to Canada, it used to be no biggie to pop over and back.  I think people forget it is a separate country lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We were going to go to Pelee island when we were at Kelleys Island last month, but we were told to not even attempt it. We just opted to look at the island and say, ‘there’s Canada!’
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Guys to be honest, as far as any Canadian "reporting" my American boating (or non-boating) brothers I say this to them: I have never been fond of rats and don't like them in my house (Canada). As a guy with bone marrow cancer who gets a transfusion once a month I am aware of viruses. That said, if some Americans want to come to my home (Canada) for some beers, gas or just for the fun of it and don't have a temperature like our Rinker engine coolant at operating temperature and aren't hacking and coughing - I say WELCOME. You guys are awesome neighbours and tolerate a whole whack of us every winter..... so to the rats here, in my house (Canada) I say pi$$ off!
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Have been so annoyed with people who have gone on vacation down here during this pandemic. 

Our numbers haven't been too bad the whole time, but get this, now that it's the "off season" we finally had a weekend with NO new cases. Hmmm so all the idiot vacationers leave and stay home and suddenly no one tests positive in the keys. Wish they would have just stayed home to begin with!!
    You must not make money on tourism dollars. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:

No, I make money when everyone leaves ;) doing it right now - I hear your argument but if we were strictly trying to prevent the spread, we should have all just stayed home.. was no problem for me though, just stuck to the recommendations and stayed out of public places, had food delivered, etc.. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    J3ff said:
    J3ff said:

No, I make money when everyone leaves ;) doing it right now - I hear your argument but if we were strictly trying to prevent the spread, we should have all just stayed home.. was no problem for me though, just stuck to the recommendations and stayed out of public places, had food delivered, etc.. 

Take away tourism dollars and how many people in the keys can't afford the mortgage on their home?(many vacation homes are duplexes with owners living in half) how many boat slips will people not be able to afford without tourists to go diving or fishing on those boats? How much of the keys is dependent on those tourists? How many locals are going to go to theater of the sea or eat at sunset grill where they only play Buffett?  If everything shut down, the people who are barely scraping by since Irma hit, where would they be?

An efficiency apartment down there is what...1900 a month now?  

I used to be a commission paid technician.  I got married, bought my first home and had a kid all in the span of 2 years.  We then hit the worst drought in my memory.  If grass doesn't grow machines that cut it dont get used. When they dont get used they don't break and I made no money.  The stress, the pressue, the uncertainty, the fear of when I would get enough work to pay my bills was oevrwheming.  

I couldn't imagine that kind of stress being put on an entire community, an entire city, an entire economy because of something that most have little to no symptoms when you catch it.

A customer of mine just lost her husband.  He had been battling cancer the past year. He finally lost his fight due to complications hes been dealing with for the past year.  Because he tested positive for covid 19 that is listed as cause of death.  He had no symptoms or issues related to covid, his body had slowly been shutting down for many months now.  They were prepared for the inevitable.  This is our medical system at work.  

Post edited by PickleRick on