Options

FV270 CAPTAINS CHOICE EXHAUST

skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭

Has anybody ever attempted to install a captains choice side hull exit exhaust on their FV270?

MAG350mpi

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't seen one myself, it'd probably be ridiculously loud while barely moving forward :) imagine 4000 rpms at 28 mph... 
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Stealth is where it's at....

my2cents
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. It’s not a Scarab!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea wrong boat for this...
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    @skuter99 .....no way....it would be awesome. Have had captain's call on several boats. Pretty quiet when off real loud when on. If you need specialty pipe bends I helped a friend install one and we went to a big truck center and they already had all kinds of pre-bent pipes for exhaust stacks that we adapted. I would recommend composite exhaust ports with flappers like made by GIL and putting a lot of sikaflex or 3M 4200 around the inside of the bholes you cut out. I was thinking of through hulls for my 2014 EC 360 but didn't keep it long enough for that mod!......I know - $hit disturber!
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    What performance benefit would a 270 expect?  Loud for the sake of being loud was cool when I was a yoot, but most people are over it now.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    What performance benefit would a 270 expect?  Loud for the sake of being loud was cool when I was a yoot, but most people are over it now.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJPNDzh_oj0
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Thru hull doesn't gain you any performance.  Maybe in your high performance engines.  Just makes you unnecessarily loud
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Excuse me your honor.  When I was a yoooooothhhhhh. 

@skuter99 I guess my point is that the exhaust by itself probably won't add much performance unless you're going to build the motor for it.  Now, if you just like the sound, pay no mind to the haters!  
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    ......my days as a  youuuuut (thank you Joe P.) are not over. Like loud cars, loud boats, loud music and even loud girls. Do not like loud grand babies as much. :-)

BTW good advice on performance re- through hulls. My 390 HP 383 was a built as it gets for a small stroker, even had IMCO Power Flow headers. I did not notice any difference whether they were on or off, although even when off the solenoid-driven "shutters" have about 1/8 inch around for clearance.  However, the difference on a pair of supercharged 900Hp hawks or 1300 HP Cobras IS noticeable. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    There are a lot of things that I am glad to see come back from the 80s..... loud boat exhausts are not one of them. I think dudes on the go fasts think that folks stare in envy. No, they stare hoping the boat passes fast and never comes back... 

• Options
    @Liberty44140.....not questioning your taste but I didn't give a $hit what anyone thought about the go fasts I drove. Any driver of a go fast (or any other boat on plane) that is looking at others to see if they are watching him is an a$$hole and a menace. I was far more qualified than 99% of the people I passed and I drove with respect and safety for my guests and other boaters. I shut my through hulls off when close to shore and opened them up on the wide areas. I go slower now but up to my mid 50s I went fast a lot of the time. Most people prejudiced against go fasts have never driven one.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fast doesn't have to equal loud.  I would way rather be fast and stealth.  Agreed with the comments about the DBs that troll anchorages with their mullets and open exhausts.  I assume they must have tiny pee pees.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    There are a lot of things that I am glad to see come back from the 80s..... loud boat exhausts are not one of them. I think dudes on the go fasts think that folks stare in envy. No, they stare hoping the boat passes fast and never comes back... 
    what do you think about the guys in these boats that like to just fly back and fourth where everyone anchors and are trying to relax. I definitely think a lot of them are seeking attention. 
    That looks a lot like my uncles boat. He has a 15’ flat bottom, V drive, with a blown 383 on alcohol making right at 1000 hp, and a 3 speed. Now I’ve been drag racing a large portion of my life, raced motocross, flown aerobatics, and lots of other fast paced activities, but I’ve never done anything as terrifying as riding in that boat. Insanely fast and insanely unstable. 
  • Options
    Man, we do tend to get sidetracked.  @skuter99 -- No, nobody here has ever attempted to install a captains choice side hull exit exhaust on their FV270.  
  • Options
    .....so @skutter99, why don't you be the first? :-)
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post pics of install and post video of the boat coming out of the hole when you're done. 

We don't have many power mod threads on here. 

Also post if your boat can hit a little more top end.

• Options
    shawnmjr said:
    what do you think about the guys in these boats that like to just fly back and fourth where everyone anchors and are trying to relax. I definitely think a lot of them are seeking attention. 
    Definitely an attention seeker..... definitely not an attention getter..... 

• Options
    Thankfully I've never had to deal with that. I'd haul anchor and go find somewhere quiet. 

Same with the sandbar down here, it's good for once a month.. the rest of the time I'm out finding somewhere you can't even see people... with or without my 2nd in command.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm interested in seeing a 270 with thru hull.  Yes please do it and provide a video.  Thanks.  Lol.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Thru hull sound on the canals in Chicago, rumbling at idle and echoing between buildings/concrete walls.

I'll take that rumble over some Gucci gang crap loud rap music any day of the week.  

People will take one look at that 270 and wonder what's in it.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    .....just remember guys, Rinkers are EXPRESS cruisers - not Sea Rays and we ain't dead yet - so have some fun before it's too late!
  • Options
    skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
    I dont know if I will do it. Just wondered if anybody already had tried.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Last thing we need on peaceful boating days is 150dB exhausts....

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Geeeeezus. My bass boat will chine walk at about 60, but if you start a slight turn you can’t drive through it. It can get sketchy but nothing like that. 
  • Options
    icoultha said:
    Last thing we need on peaceful boating days is 150dB exhausts....

A Harley powered pedal boat?
  • Options
    HammerHeadHammerHead Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    As I was leaving my slip a couple of weeks ago in my 280ec with it's 496 Volvo at idle, a guy on the next dock over yelled, "Man, I love how quiet your boat is! You've got the quietest boat in the harbor. I wish mine was that quiet!" Yeah. I kinda like being able to have a conversation with my guests!  B)
  • Options
    ......so switch off the silent CHOICE and have that conversation.