Options

NEED HELP!!

777kite777kite Member Posts: 12
edited August 2020 in Engine Discussions
I've got a 2002 Rinker captiva 192. she is a 4.3L V6 Mercurizer with a 180 HP.  I'm Now at a loss and about this boat. I have owned this one for 7 years now. she is 18 years old and I have giving her some TLC.

My problem is...... I can take off, when I first get her in the water, and plain out, Just fine and RUNS like she should.

. but if I stop, turn her off & get in the water, Then when I get back in SAY 20 minutes later....  she runs like she isn't getting enough gas, bogs down, no power, won't plain out.

I have done a Top end Total rebuild on her. trying to find the problem. I've Rebuilt the carburetor (Mine is a 2-barrel carburetor). 
Replaced the following
Spark plugs-
Wires-
ignition module-
Ignition coil-
Rotor- 
distributor cap-
Put on a stainless steel spark Breather- 
electric choke-
I have even changed out the ECU on this boat. 
the fuel system is clean, I checked it and the filter when I rebuilt the carburetor.

Where do I look next to get this fixed? Throttle cable?-Fuel pump?- I'm at a loss as to what to do next.  I know this can be a process of elimination to fix this issue. but I have already done all the, what I think it could be as an obvious fixes. 

she should start and run, plain out every time I hit the gas and she doesn't. on a added note I change out the water impeller every other year, so I don't think that is my issue. I get good water flow when I have it hooked up to rabbit ears.

Post edited by 777kite on

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it sits for longer than 20 min as in when it completely cools does it run better or if it is running bad does it eventually clear up after a few mins? Maybe some sort of vapor lock? When mine sits sometimes after running for about 20-30 min it can have a bit of a hiccup starting. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Yes. when I let it completely cool down it will run right. it does act like its Vapor locking. so I did have a 1inch spacer put on it, between the block and the carburetor,  and it has helped. but not solved the issue.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Can you put a small 6 gallon fuel tank on the deck of the boat and run the fuel hose from the fuel pump to the temporary tank?

That way you can verify if its a fuel issue caused by the tank.  Things like blockage in fuel pick up tube, blockage in vent system.

• Options
    I will have to try that, wasn't sure if it was a fuel issue or throttle or what. I will double check my tank & lines. they all looked good last time I looked at them. could that be a fuel pump issue?
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is all your venting in the engine bay in good condition and not blocked. Also are you running your bilge fan at low speeds to cool off the bay?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Yes. and YES> I always run my blower at low speeds. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    777kite said:
    I will have to try that, wasn't sure if it was a fuel issue or throttle or what. I will double check my tank & lines. they all looked good last time I looked at them. could that be a fuel pump issue?

You said you had a carb so im assuming you have a mechanical fuel pump?  You could put clear hose from the pump to the carb(yellow tygon) to look for air bubbles.   Just do this for testing purposes. Instsll the metal tube back when finished.

All it takes is dip in the vent hose to vapor lock...or bugs nest or even obstruction getting into your tank to cause a vent or pick up tube issue.

One poster on here found i think a plastic bag clogging his vent tube.

• Options
    I will try that. My next step was to replace the fuel pump, because I have no idea if that is the original fuel pump or not. Thank you for your HELP. I sure appreciate you!
  • Options
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Try switching to 91 Octane fuel.  That completely cured my vapor locking issue, on a Sea Ray that I had awhile back.  It won't evaporate as fast, and cause the lockup. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    I would certainly suspect the fuel itself, or the check valve right on top of the tank. I know it seems unlikely, but I have seen these exact same symptoms before.
  • Options
    @Lake_Bum. YES. I only put the premium plus fuel in my boat. And its still doing it when the engine gets hot. I ordered a new fuel pump. I talked to a guy who said if its old it will over heat.
    Dalek. I will check that!!. Thank you all for your help.