Options

Winterize In vs. Out of water

First year with my boat. I’m in the mid-Atlantic, so generally mild winters, have a slip with floating docks and de-icing system, and camper canvas for the boat. Seems like the boaters around me are 50/50 keeping theirs in vs hauling out and storing in dry dock for the winter. What does this forum recommend...I don’t really know the pros/cons for winterizing in vs out of water. I had initially thought I’d keep it in but wondering if that’s a bad idea, especially if I’m not in town to check on it for at least some of that time.

Also, for anyone in the DC/VA area, if you have a marina you recommend for winter storage, let me know that too. Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    edited September 2020
    Around here, it's better to winterize and store on land.  Otherwise, you'll be worrying about the boat with every winter storm.  Don't be fooled by the mild winters of the past couple years.  I would not want my boat to be in the water with 2000 pounds of ice and/or snow piled on top of it. 

Don't rely on the local power grid to avoid damage.  Ice bubblers and engine room heaters are no good if there's no power.  

By the way -- if you don't already have BoatUS towing insurance, consider getting it.  Membership includes BoatUS magazine, which publishes articles by insurance adjusters about all the different ways that boats end up sinking or being damaged.  Very instructive.  

I don't know any of the marinas in the Anacostia.  Might take a look at Fort Washington Marina.  
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Also, if you look at the 50/50 that are staying in the water over the winter, they are probably larger boats that do not have sterndrives.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I will second what LaRea said.  I would not want my boat sitting in the water all winter.  I have a friend that had his 342 sink over the winter even under a covered slip.  The seacock froze and leaked.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I’m further north anyway so wouldn’t contemplate in water over winter due to ice floes, heaters and bubblers or not. But I have inside storage and not having to worry after a storm is peace of mind not wondering (or running to check) shrink wrap etc. I’m not good seeing early snow coming if she’s not winterized and on the hard under the roof.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭
    Winter out of the water. Much better piece of mind and It will give you a chance to do maint that you cant do in the water.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I would think NC and south would be fine in the water but north of that out of the water. Also if you're not gonna use your boat in the winter then remove it regardless of location, atleast for our sizes and style of boats. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
     I had initially thought I’d keep it in but wondering if that’s a bad idea, especially if I’m not in town to check on it for at least some of that time.

Think you answered your question.

If you're not going to be able to check on it easily.......on the hard. Preferably inside.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you ever get ice storms?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you ever get ice storms?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    natalee520natalee520 Member Posts: 21
    edited February 2022
    Thanks everyone. I’m going to take it out, it’s the right thing to do. I’ll be sad to miss the Alexandria Christmas boat parade though! ;)

@LaRea you always have the answers for me! I’ll check out Ft. Washington this weekend. 

@Dream_Inn that is terrible news about your friend...I definitely don’t want that to be me, and I need to hear those stories to remind me! 

Our winters have been so mild I have gotten fooled. Last year on Christmas it was 65 degrees here, and the year before there were some Feb. days I was sitting outside on my patio. I can’t even remember when it’s snowed enough to have to shovel the last couple of years. So I guess I thought I might get some off season use out of it, and if it was already in the water I’d have all of March to enjoy it...but you all are right it is not worth the risk. The winters in 2010 and 2011 were awful, and the way 2020 has been trending it would be my luck! Now I just have to hurry up and get everything figured out before the end of October!

Thanks, as always, to everyone on this forum. 
    Post edited by natalee520 on