Options

Using bleach in a waste holding tank

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
I found this article on the web and thought you guys would find it interesting. After curing the smell in my water tank I decided to put a little bit of bleach in my wast tank (after i serviced it). Once I put the bleach in I was asking myself if it was a good idea or not, so I went home and searched the net. There are a lot of posts that bleach will stop the natural breakdown of waste but then I found this. http://www.myoldrv.com/?p=600
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    I want to do this this week-end. Just to give a good cleaning in the waste holding tank. Can only help,and, will never hurt it. I am going to pour the bleach into the tank from the exit hose connection. NOT the toilet! Don't want to damage any seals.

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that's what I did. (Put it in the tank not the toilet)
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I would not use bleach. This is why they make headzime and other products....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice cubes to 'clean'. Big Orange for the smell.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Ice cubes????????

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice cubes in the tank. Go for a ride and they break up the stuff inside from moving around and just melt away.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I use ice cubes in the bilge and I also you ice cubes in coffee pot's....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Gin_TimeGin_Time Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    And they are great in iced tea also!!! :)
  • Options
    flashdancerflashdancer Member Posts: 2
    I DID PUT BLEACH IN THE TOILET BUT IN THE BOWL AND A VISIT TO THE HOSPITAL SO NO I WONT DO THAT AGAIN IN THE TOILET BUT FROM THE OUTTER TANK... LESSON LEARNED.. LOL
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    A gallon of vinegar pour it in take a ride before you pump out does wonders 

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    So a gallon of beer run through my personal refinery to extract the alcohol won't have the same effect as vinegar??? Geez, that's news to me but I accept it. :D

Note to self....drain chlorine from water system and move to waste tank but don't add vinegar+chlorine or I get deadly gas.......far more deadly than an all-u-can-eat burrito buffet.  %-(

Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I want to try the vinegar.  Can it be flushed?

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    edited August 2013
    rmrstlmo said:
    I want to try the vinegar.  Can it be flushed?
    Yes it also cleans the hoses here are more uses

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Just found this
    Chlorine or bleach is used to disinfect/sanitize the freshwater tanks/lines. Vinegar is used to minimize the buildup of calcium and mineral deposts in the tank and water lines. I use 1/4-1/2 c of bleach per 15gal of water 1-2 times per year, let sit 2-4 hrs then flush and 1/2-1 cup of generic white vinegar per gal of water, let sit 4 hrs then flush, 1-2 times per year. You can also use 1/2-1 cup of baking powder mixed with 1 gal of warm/hot water pored into your freshwater tank and run through all lines. Helps neutralize the bleach or vinegar smell if present. On occasion I've done both the bleach and vinegar procedure at the same time but have flushed everything with fresh water between procedures.