Marine antennas.

hunterdalehunterdale Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited July 2013 in Electrical Discussions
I took about 8" off my antenna a few weeks ago.....low bridge.  How will that effect it and if I replace it what should I be looking for?  Sure are alot of choices since the last time I bought one.  Currently have an 8', well 7'4", Shakespear mounted on the radar arch of my 270 I fold it down when trailering and pulling into covered marinas.  The guys running with me that day assured me it would clear.  Never listen to a bunch of drunken, sailor for a day, friends.  Basically what's the difference between a $50 antenna and a $150 antenna.  Biggest water I venture out on is Lake Michigan.  Give me your thoughts on it guys.

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Antenna height/lenght is a function of the wave length it receives/transmits. Height effects how far it can broadcast/receive also. Thus for a boat, higher is better. Price should get quality, should. Better construction, etc. people like Shakespeare make decent ones.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You wont need it until you NEED IT. get a good one. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl