Options

2009 Rinker 280 only 85 hours on 8.2 but hour meter says 15,000

We had it surveyed last week, we are purchasing it if it can be repaired, Computer and 30 year owner of Oneils Marine in Washington, said he hooked it up to computer and it has 85 actual hours motor, it looks new, boat still has plastic on seats and looks brand new, I was told by the guy selling it ( he bought from bank auction dealer never knew owner) doesnt know anything about it, Survey was excellent. I was told the other owner left the key on ( by the seller)  so the hour meter can be reset to hours on motor, serial numbers match engine and boat, Oneils owner said he can fix the meter, but then I heard it will happen again, that  it wasnt the key left on , it is a glitch in the hour meter electrical ( but I heard this from the seller after many other stories about it) . HELP what and how do we permanently fix? any recalls, issues with anyone else. 

Comments

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    In my opinion the hour meter on the dash makes no difference. When someone buys a boat they should have the computer scanned for actual hours regardless of an hour meter. So the only time this would be an "issue" is when you sell it in which case the buyers surveyor will scan the computer. 

Also leaving the key on shouldn't be running the meter so it is probably a glitch. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Agreed. Never believe the dash hour meter. Many 10 year old boats have had the gauges replaced.

I wouldn’t worry about it but if you’re bent on fixing it check which wire is connected to the hour meter - should be purple. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Just replace the gauge with a brand new one. Then the hour meter will be on zero and all you have to do is simply add whatever you know the motor actually is. Sounds like somewhere along the way someone swapped out the the tachometer. Or just simply defective as the original
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    VesselView Mobile. Add that and it gives you actual plus more from the ECM. My gauges have a delta of around 95 hours; ECM’s are .1 to .2 difference between the 2.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Sej1969Sej1969 Member Posts: 31
    I read Faria is a bad brand and to switch to another hour meter? 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Faria gauges from 10-20 years ago had many problems with reliability.  I don't know if the new ones still have those problems.  

How long to you plan to keep the boat?  There are many options for upgrading.  It depends how much you want to spend.  The cheapest, easiest solution is just replace it with another Faria gauge.  
  • Options
    tazdeviltazdevil Member Posts: 45
    well baught a boat with 900hrs on the the gauge but once on pluged on ecm 390hrs keep in mind many people don t know how to use the ignition switch accesorie option