Options

I can’t believe the time is already here.

69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
We used our boat a ton this year. At least twice a week since April, but now school has started, Livestock showing and horse showing have started, and it’s time to winterize the boat. The saddest day of the year. 

My daughter does make the showing season enjoyable though. We had a real good time this last weekend. 

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool. Beautiful horse. Question: Is it like travel baseball or soccer where you're always going somewhere each weekend? How far do you have to travel? How long is the "season"?
  • Options
    TonyG13 said:
    That's pretty cool. Beautiful horse. Question: Is it like travel baseball or soccer where you're always going somewhere each weekend? How far do you have to travel? How long is the "season"?
    We travel all over. We are going to Amarillo the last weekend of the month and that’s a 6 hour drive. Horse showing doesn’t really have a season but seems to be more active from now through April or May. 

We got pigs this weekend too, and that showing season starts now and goes through March, for us. She real big into it and does well. She finished 4th at the Houston livestock show and rodeo as a 7th grader and has made sale there every single year, which is very hard to do. She’s done so well that we have a show in the works with animal planet right now where she will be followed through a pig showing season. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, I would love to do this with my daughters.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She has a nice shirt on
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Cool indeed, and awesome that anybody could afford that hobby plus boats AND race cars!

For me, with no kids and Virginia weather ... I have another 8-9 weeks of boating.  The Admiral will insist on hauling out by Thanksgiving.  I'll resist briefly, and then I'll conclude that she's right.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Cool indeed, and awesome that anybody could afford that hobby plus boats AND race cars!

For me, with no kids and Virginia weather ... I have another 8-9 weeks of boating.  The Admiral will insist on hauling out by Thanksgiving.  I'll resist briefly, and then I'll conclude that she's right.  
    There is nothing cheap about horses, or pigs, that’s for sure, but my boat costs a little less to keep going than most of you. Don’t forget the dirtbikes! I’ve got a fun day of riding planned for tomorrow. 

Honestly, she’s funding most of the horses herself right now. She works at the ranch every day to pay for it. She’s been pretty self sustaining with her pigs too, with her winnings. She works hard. 
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a hard working young lady. I’m sure you’re very proud as you should be
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

Honestly, she’s funding most of the horses herself right now. She works at the ranch every day to pay for it. She’s been pretty self sustaining with her pigs too, with her winnings. She works hard. 
    That is great! Start them early learning the value of money and what luxuries cost and are not a given from mom and dad. Too much of that nowadays, too many “entitled millennials”, kudos to her upbringing.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Spending time with kids is great. My youngest is now 26 (her b-day was yesterday). My son raced karts for 10 years so we spent alot of time together and all the boys played football and daughter cheered. As long as you have something else to fill the void pulling the boat sucks...lol. Wife just mentioned today about pulling ours this weekend. I might put it off another week or 2 but will be going to Texas next week
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Docks out first weekend of November so we can stay until week before; weather will determine real pull day or at least when i take her the 1/4 mile to the marina to haul and winterize.

Just had a couple of weekends with oldest son here from Denver and some boat time; youngest from Bozeman comes in Tuesday and hoping for a day or 2 that here is here out also.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, I honestly can't believe how quickly this summer went ... it was a great summer for us, so can't complain ... but I'm not sure I'm ready for winter ... especially given we can't travel, so no hot destination escapes available to take a break.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    i see you also raise pigs.  This 250 lbs boy was supposed to be a mini pig.  If I cover him and his feeding area with scraps so it takes him half an hour to find all his food so he will leave the dogs food alone long enough for them to eat
    Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    Yeah this summer flew by. Weather was good but many days were too hot to boat so we did miss some due to weather.
  • Options
    i see you also raise pigs.  This 250 lbs boy was supposed to be a mini pig.  If I cover him and his feeding area with scraps so it takes him half an hour to find all his food so he will leave the dogs food alone long enough for them to eat
    Oh we have pigs. 

• Options
    And apparently a random picture of my ridgeback. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Your pig makes me want to make our pig work out. 

Note: I only put dry food scraps on his back for him to knock off and find waking around.   

He was neutered as a piglet but thanks to the large yard to roam he roots enough to grow good sized tusks.

Any recommendations for trimming them?  I've been told a Benadryl and a few beers then saw them down when he passes out.  His hooves can be trimmed easily if he's eating but touching his face is off limits
  • Options
    Your pig makes me want to make our pig work out. 

Note: I only put dry food scraps on his back for him to knock off and find waking around.   

He was neutered as a piglet but thanks to the large yard to roam he roots enough to grow good sized tusks.

Any recommendations for trimming them?  I've been told a Benadryl and a few beers then saw them down when he passes out.  His hooves can be trimmed easily if he's eating but touching his face is off limits
    I’m not even sure how different pigs that was, but we’ve had a bunch. Lol. We snare them to trim them. You can just use a small piece of rope and get it in their mouth and tie it off to something and they’ll stand still. 
  • Options
    Mmmm, bacon.....

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    You snare this pig and you'll hear him squealing 5 miles away. 
  • Options
    Yep. They all do. He will get over it. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    Mmmm, bacon.....
    Mmm, ribs .... mmm pulled pork.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    This one used to love to get a scratch on the stomach.  He laid down on a hill side once, started rolling over. He did not like that feeling and he flipped out.  He has never laid down to be scratched since.  

He was an indoor pig until he turned into a hog.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    This is us today. We are out!

• Options
    :(

mine stays into but I do need to go winterize it and get it over with. Every year I call around to shops because I don’t feel like winterizing it, but I just can’t pay someone $850 to winterize my boat. It’s robbery. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    :(

mine stays into but I do need to go winterize it and get it over with. Every year I call around to shops because I don’t feel like winterizing it, but I just can’t pay someone $850 to winterize my boat. It’s robbery. 
    That's crazy! I can think of a lot better things to spend $850 on. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988