Options

Eisenglass replacement cost

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
I am going to replace the large back eisenglass seen here on my 270 over the winter when my boat is shrink wrapped. It’s a big piece with a zipper on the side where you enter the boat. Since I roll this up when removed, it will need to be a thinner grade than I have on my front and side panels. The canvas is fine. Has anyone done this and can you give me a ballpark estimate of what it might cost? 

Post edited by luvinlife on

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've done it, honestly can't remember the price ... but I'm thinking $300 territory.  There's a guy on here that sells this stuff ... Teejay ... can't remember, the other guys will chime in, I'm sure.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Daughter and husband just had the equivalent of your 2 side windows replaced on their Bayliner 285 for $300 total.
  • Options
    Wow if I could get it done for a few hundred dollars I would be a happy guy
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dock neighbour did his last year. $250 CDN I beleive. They just cut the old eisenglass out close to the canvas and stitches the new one right on. So there's a small lip of the old window (like a 1/4") all around. But fast and cheaper. Without doing it that way they'd have to replace the whole canvas. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think they can remove the old stitching from the original eisenglass and completely remove it. I guess it depends on the shop 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I just replaced the glass on that curtain in the spring.  $125 out the door.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I would think they can remove the old stitching from the original eisenglass and completely remove it. I guess it depends on the shop 
    Absolutely. For about double the $$
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I would first get a quote from Darren on a new canvas aft piece. I’m betting it’s not much more money than replacing the glass and it will look better with new bungees and zippers. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Willhound said:
    Dock neighbour did his last year. $250 CDN I beleive. They just cut the old eisenglass out close to the canvas and stitches the new one right on. So there's a small lip of the old window (like a 1/4") all around. But fast and cheaper. Without doing it that way they'd have to replace the whole canvas. 
    I did both ways ... cut out and restitch .... vs, just buy new from Darren (sorry I said TeeJay above, it's Darren) on this forum ... Darren was cheaper ... too much labor if they cutout and restitch.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You barely see the old eisenglass when it’s cut out.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    You barely see the old eisenglass when it’s cut out.
    Agree. I have a few that P.O. had done that way. Only time I notice it is when cleaning. Also provides a good strong stitching point.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The right way to replace eisenglass is to sew new on and then cut old out, otherwise you will lose the form and it won’t be flat. On some pieces you need to trim around it after with the same sunbrella to make it look good. I worked at a sail maker for almost a decade. That was almost two decades ago through so it’s hard to say what this should be but I’d agree with these numbers $200 - $300 just to replace the window, no zipper or screen work 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    mine mine has two long zippers that run the length of that back piece.